DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SQL*Report Very Urgent

Hi,
    Can anyone explain what is a SQL*Report?

Appreciate for this help
    Thanks

Aph,
    If i am correct, earlier version of Oracle reports are called as SQL reports. Same with Forms.

Thanks

GD_1976.

Hi gd_1976,

Actually can you go in more detail and explain little more?

Thanks
    aph

APH,

A very brief history of Oracle's report writing tools (latest first):
    Oracle Reports (v6i, v6, v3, v2.5, v2)
    SQL*ReportWriter (v1.1, v1.0)
    SQL*Report
    (before this I don't know - maybe nothing?)

SQL*ReportWriter was newish when I first started working with Oracle products, almost 12 years ago. I think SQL*Report was desupported not long after that, although I wasn't using it at the time, so that wasn't important to me (I never used it much anyway).

An .rpt file was the "report design" for SQL*Report as per the .rdf for Reports Developer, but it was a text file that was edited directly - there was no design tool. The .rpt file was basically a command file allowing some sort of "procedural" processing of data with commands for writing output to files (SQL*Report a "language" unto itself - each command starting with a ".").

This is a very high level overview of SQL*Report, based on some fairly vague memories.

As a note - despite the similarity in names, SQL*Report and SQL*ReportWriter were completely different products. There was no automated upgrade path (SQL*Report provided a lot of procedural functionality that was not avaliable in SQL*ReportWriter - which was basically a MUCH simpler version of the current Oracle Reports without PL/SQL). I vaguely remember a 3rd party utility that converted SQL*Report .rpt files to Pro*C, but not much more than that.

I hope that this helps, but I don't know what sort of answers you were looking/hoping for.

Thanks,

twinn

Hi Twinn,
    Thank you so much for this detail explanation.

aph