i ve a few questions on blob column
1. how to insert a value into the blob column.
2. if i use the empty_blob() function to insert a value - what value is inserted
is it a null.
3. how to select a value from the blob column.
4. if i ve inserted the blob column with the empty_blob() function
how will i be able to retrive that data.
1. To insert value into a Blob column:
(a) Initialize it by Empty_Blob() function.
(b) Create a directory in Oracle corresponding to OS Dir
from which you wish to load BLOB data.
(c) Use DBMS_LOB package to load data. It has various
functions like DBMS_LOB.LOADFROMFILE.
(d) For an example, see
2. No. It is not Null. The Column is Empty and is used for
initialization so that it contains a locator.
3. SQL PLUS cannot display lob columns, and thus you
cannot 'select' BLOB column as you would other
datatypes. However, you can develop your own
procedures using DBMS_LOB package or other
languages like PHP, Java etc.
4. You can use DBMS_LOB.READ().
Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width