DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certifications

Hybrid View

Would anyone know what would be the best line to pursue if I already have an oracle8 DBA certification knowing that it is difficult to obtain an entry level DBA position? Is certification in any of the unix, linux or sun solaris a good idea for someone with little to no exerience in the IT field and with the present slump in jobs?

At a recent Oracle seminar I was talking with a person who heads up the Oracle team at a local consultanting company.

He indicated they have about 25 oracle DBAs and about 45 oracle developers on staff.

None though that cross both areas, which I though was interesting ... you may want to look at one of the developer certifications.

Gee,
    OCP 8i DBA

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    well..i presume u need to hv a reasonable working experience with Solaris and Oracle PLUS
    some certs to go around to get a DECENT pay job at difficult times like now?
    ngwh,
    Singapore.

In my opinion, my experience as a developer and designer have been very useful as a DBA. Having 70 consultants without some hybrids seems very odd.

I can't imagine being a DBA without knowing the other side.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    say Dknight what's ur OCP score for 8i ??
    ngwh,
    Singapore.

Hm I have never programmed and designed
    If you look Oracle Support peeps very few of them even know how to program in pl/sql

I don't remember my scores exactly, but this is rough:

Strong on SQL/PLSQL
    Strong on Architecture and Admin
    Strong on Performance Tuning
    Mediocre on Network
    Very weak on Backup and Recovery

My scores reflect my experience and ability to practice. I know my configuration for network and b&r well, but have limited experience with the other options. My shop has no test environment, so it is difficult to practice new things. I have less than 2 years of experience with DBA duties.

How are your scores? How many years of DBA experience do you have?
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

He indicated they have about 25 oracle DBAs and about 45 oracle developers on staff.
    Not very smart recruitment policy in that company (or could be exactly the oposite and I have the absolutely wrong point of view).

Nowaday, most jobs sort of blend DBAing and programming. There was recently even an article in Certification Magazine.

Although I am the Senior DBA, I also do a lot of PL/SQL package programming, even Reports, etc.

What would you consider a good mix? Fewer or more DBAs?
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Originally posted by dknight
    What would you consider a good mix? Fewer or more DBAs?
    Probably fewer DBAs but it depends on the number of DBs, how complicated they are, the amount of development work done, etc. As a developer, I remember there was development work and development work :-)