DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle & IBM DB2

Hi,

I have been curious about the difference between Oracle and IBM DB2 servers in term of funtionality, scalibility, reliability, and cost.

Can someone who has the related expereinces with these 2 servers share the ideas?

Thanks for the input!

Dinn

About three months ago, I asked the IBM database sales rep in my area about the number of DB2 installations on Unix and NT in my area. He did not know and to my surprise confessed that on these platforms, Oracle was a superior product.

On the mainframe, DB2 dominates. It is scalable and reliable. Functionally, it is a relational database, and easy to learn if you have used something like Oracle. It allows dirty reads as well if that has any appeal.

IBM told me that their core business does not include the front end. Therefore, there is no reporting tool, CASE tool, or form development tool that fits DB2 the way that Developer and Designer fit with Oracle.

My very unclear understanding is that DB2 is about half the cost of Oracle.

Hope that helps.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

it is a relational database
    :-) You probably have heard of Rule Zero:

"For any system that is claimed to be a relational database management system, that system must be able to manage data entirely through its relational capabilities."

If you check Codd’s 12 rules and apply them in a way that you give 1 point if the DB fulfils the rule, 1/2 point if the DB fulfils the rule partially and 0 point otherwise, then Oracle is top on the market with 8.5 points.

It is funny that Oracle 7 fulfiled only 1 rule completely.

Point taken.

Relational in the general sense, but not necessarily according to Codd's twelve rules.

The point is, if one has worked with Oracle, the learning curve for development shouldn't be so difficult to climb.

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
    (2 Henry VI IV.ii. 72)
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Is it possible to get the information about what rules Oracle satisfies and what rules it does not.

I was under the impression that Oracle8 onwards , Oracle satisfies all the rules of Codd.
    -- Anurag.
    OCP Application Developer
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be not afraid of growing slowly. Be afraid only of standing still."

Thank, David and Julian!

I came cross an article in Oracle magazine, it compares the Oracle 9i and DB2, it shows 9i has better scalibility and less cost.

So I was wondering how true it is in real world.

Where can I find the codd rules?

thanks!

Dinn

Originally posted by dinn
    Thank, David and Julian!

I came cross an article in Oracle magazine, it compares the Oracle 9i and DB2, it shows 9i has better scalibility and less cost.

So I was wondering how true it is in real world.

Where can I find the codd rules?

thanks!

Dinn
    Dinn!

Most recently I've read Codd's rulaes at http://www.itworld.com/nl/db_mgr/05072001

Leo

Thanks, Leo, got it..