DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can you run listener on Win 98?

I am getting the following error when starting listener (Oracle 8 PE on Windows 98 at home PC):
    LSNRCTL> start
    Starting tnslsnr80: please wait...

TNS-12570: TNSacket reader failure
    TNS-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error
    TNS-00504: Operation not supported
    32-bit Windows Error: 1001: Unknown system error
    LSNRCTL>
    In between, (after please wait..), I also get a Windows Error saying that the programme has performed an illegal operation and will terminate.

My question: Is there some special driver/ adapter to run listener (protocol: TCP, port: 1521) on WINDOWS 98. Has anyone else faced a similar problem? Can one start the listener on WIndows 98?

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

Talking check network

Have you make sure that you NIC card's configuration is properl set up and tested. If it is operating properly, then have you installed oracle on the box. If you are running the client version of it, you don't need the listener. You only need it at the server level. I hope this helps.

I have an Oracle DB on the machine which I can connect properly with BEQUEATH protocol.

However, the problem arises when I wish to use TCP to connect to the same db from the same machine. Its not that I want to turn it into a server or something. Its only an Oracle Personal Edition which I use periodically for developmental (mostly front end ) purposes in off duty hours.

Recently, I started using OO40 (VB) for develpment and it does not connect to the Oracle db (on the same machine) through bequeath protocol. When I try to set up a TCP service from NET 8, I can't. So I tried to start listener and am getting the above error.

Has anybody succeeded in starting listener on WIN 98? Or I have to spend some money and upgrade my PC OS (Do you think it will start after upgradation of OS?)

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

I have setup up personal oracle 7.3.4 on a win98 machine. Started the listener and connected from another machine. You should probably have a network card in the machine, if not you might be able to use dial-up networking. You need the tcp/ip protocol setup. You can use the loopback address 127.0.0.1. You can also just use bequeath. Maybe if you publish your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora someone will help you to set them up. There are alot of variables when setting this up. You can also use odbc. that might be easier.

Good Luck,

Brian.