DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle 8i DBA

Question

I recently completed taking all the ILT classes for the 8i DBA track. I have all the ILT manuals and CBTs. I only have about 4 months working experience with Oracle 8i. Is it possible to obtain the 8i OCP DBA certification within 6-8 months or should I just wait for 9i? I'm not new to certification tests as I hold certs in MCSE, MCP+I, CNA and A+. I am however new to the database world. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Randy

I completed 8i in six months using Sybex study guide, oracle documentation and a copy of 8i enterprise.

Gee,
    OCP 8i DBA

I've passed both 001 and 023 using ILT books. I am preparing for 025 now. I did use CBT for 023, but will not do it again - it is a waste of time in my opinion.

Also I used STS.

I've been working with Oracle only since August.

Leo

Talking

I took a month off of work and completed the Oracle 8i series of test. Make Sure you know all of the ILT.

By the way, its easier to upgrade than to wait for the Oracle 9i series of test to be released. Plus you have the study material for 8i why not just take those and upgrade?

[Edited by eyen on 11-02-2001 at 01:02 PM]

You will be fine with all the study matterial that you have, go for it.

Good luck

Hi Randy, since you're a beginner you should give yourself time to learn and digest those Oracle concepts. I would say one month per test ( 5 or 6 months in total) would be enough for you to cover all the topics for each test. Oracle tests are not that hard and you don't really need to have alot of working experience to pass those tests. If you need an OCP right way then I think 2 weeks /test is doable... but the more you cram for the test the faster you'll forget.

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it. My current plan is to take one exam a month. I'm currently working on my PL/SQL exam. I've been using the ILT manual, CBT, Exam Cram (which isn't that great) and STS. If anyone can think of some exam prep that would help, please let me know. Thanks again for responding, Randy

i'm going for all 5 tests in one day (monday). take the plunge!
    OCP DBA 8i
    ocpwannabe@yahoo.com
    -----------------------------
    When in doubt, pick 'C'.

Smile

Wow, 5 exams in one day. I'd never learn anything that way!! Good luck to you!!

u dont have to lern anything, you just have 2 pass tests to get ocp. then companies will pay you big buxxx to be the dba!
    OCP DBA 8i
    ocpwannabe@yahoo.com
    -----------------------------
    When in doubt, pick 'C'.