DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TOAD Like Schema Script generation but...

TOAD has a nifty feature (DBA->Generate Schema Script) that generates all of the DDL required to rebuild a schema. Hoewever, even with the "Sort for Creation" option enabled it doesn't analyse dependencies, rather it just exports everything in alphabetical order. This causes the creation of the schema to fail because constraints can't be enabled if the referenced table doesn't exist. e.g. Table A has a foreign key constraint on a column in Table B. Table A will obviously be created before table B, and when it is altered to enable the FK then because table B hasn't been created then Oracle will throw a fit.

Does anyone know if there are any other tools that offer this kind of functionality, but with dependency checking as well? I've heard ERWin mentioned a few times but not sure whether this is what I need?

Just for clarity it needs to be able to handle all kinds of db objects (e.g. tables, pl/sql procedures, views, ...).

Thanks very much,

Matt

[Edited by ca9mbu on 11-02-2001 at 04:40 AM]

HI ca9mbu,
    toad normally generates in alphabhetical order if you want to have the constraints as Alter statements. It works well for me in that way.

Thanks.
    GD_1976

PATINUM ERWIN is a produc of computer assosiates http://www.ca.com,

yes it does have what you desire., but it costs coocoo bucks.....It works well though.It's an actually a DB design tool, not like a TOAD which is primary a SQL editing +more features. ERWIN can "reverse engineer" schemas, can compare schemas, etc............

Eugene

Talking

Hello

There is a product called DBA-artisan that can do this thing what you are looking for.

regards
    Hrishy