DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rollback segment extents unlimited error...

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    Hi,
    I am using 7.3.4.X oracle RDBMS...i hv this rollback segment extents unlimited error which occur when i startup the database...this will only be resolved when i set in init.ora "unlimited rollback extents=true"
    ..is this a limitation in 7.3.4.X ??? as i m familiar only in 8i....comments?
    my rollback seg max extents is 300.
    ngwh,
    Singapore.

Yes, this is only Oracle7 isue, this parameter is obsolete in Oracle8 and above.

Until Oracle 7.3 the maximum number of extents per segment was limited by the size of the db block (for 2K blocks you could have max 121 extents/segment, for 8K the limit was 505, etc). To overcome this limitation for rollback segments, Oracle introduced special init parameter UNLIMITED_ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS. If it was set to TRUE, your rollback segments could be created with a higher value of MAXEXTENTS parameter than the implicit block_size limit. But to be able to bring such RB online, your init parameter UNLIMITED_ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS must be set to TRUE.

In your case, if you don't want to have UNLIMITED_ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS=TRUE in your init file, startup the database with UNLIMITED_ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS = TRUE, find the rollback segments that have MAXEXTENTS defined with values higher than your block size limit impose (121 for 2K, 249 for 4K, 505 for 8K, etc...), and recreate them with MAXEXTENTS set to something lower than those limits. remove the UNLIMITED_ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS from your init.ora and restart the database.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    oh ic...
    got a full pic now.

thanks Jmodic
    ngwh,
    Singapore.