DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Partial import/export, i think

HP/UX 11.00 Oracle 8.1.7.0.0

Here is an interesting one guys; I need to re-create our production database in a development environment. I am limited to import/export due to the fact that BMC Patrol is not installed on the new server and Oracle Management Server is not either, so that rules out OEM.

Mainly what I want to do is a full export and import but limit the amount of data that is imported into development. Some of the tables in production have 43 million rows and I only need a fraction of that. I know I can grab the DDL with a full export but how bout the rest?

Thanks in advance;
    MH

you cant, simply because I had to deal with this problem a few weeks back with a datawarehouse what I did was export a few partitions instead of FULL and do it partition by partition. I was lucky dealing with partitions becase I could limit the data, if your tables are partitioned you could do the same

If anyone knows a better way post here!!!

BTW You say unfortunately you dont have Patrol and OEM installed... what has those two tools to do with data...? Eevryone in the shop I am now dislike Patrol heh

8.1 has a feature where you can specify a WHERE clause in the export par file...

exp system file=xxx.dmp query="xyz_date > 20010101"
    Jeff Hunter

Lightbulb

Thanks guys;
    I wanted to mention the third party tools because if I didn't someone would tell me to use them.

Jeff, I know about the where clause in the export, do you think a global "WHERE ROWNUM < 10,000 " would work?
    MH

yes the problem with WHERE is how can you ensure referential integrity... unless they are not important but I doubt it

Luckily my company in general avoids RI, woo hoo!
    MH

so the data are not important? if so the use rownum just bear in mind that rownum doesnt return the rows in the order they were inserted