DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: mirror an oracle database

Hi Gurus,

I work on a project that I duplicate a REMOTE oracle database ( version 8.1.7) onto an in house unix os sun server. I just have a regular user account to access that remote database but a dba one to the local one. An oracle server software (same version 8.1.7)will be installed onto the local sun. After oracle installation what steps should i follow to accomplish this project? Thanks in advance.

jn

Hi,

Put a standby database on the local machine and apply all the logs generated on the remote database to keep it current. You can also use the standby database in read-only mode.

For this after the oracle software is installed, restore the database as of a point in time, convert it to standby mode.

With 817 you can automate the log application OR you may choose to apply the logs periodically.

Baliga

Hi Baliga,

Thanks for your answer. I am very new to ORacle 817 and do not understand your answer very well. I want to copy the remote db to my local server, so i can administer it and not depend on the remote server's DBA. Please tell me what i should do in details after i have oracle installed on my unix sun server. Thanks.