DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Unable to starup Oracle on NT

Angry

Hi! Gurus,
    I am facing a problem with starting Oracle on NT. Whnever I press Start I am getting the following message

"Couldnot start the Oracle Service ECMSDEV on //ECMS2. Error 333 the system cannot find the path specified."

THis is urgent guys, my BOss is breathing down my neck.

Thanks in advance.
    There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

Did it used to start, what has changed since last time?

Sounds like a disk or filesystem is offline.
    Jeff Hunter

Lightbulb

First off, since this is NT I do hope you Re-Booted, you did didn't you? What exactly is the Path? did you verify that the directories listed in the path do exist? Did you try to start the service manually through START-->SETTINGS-->CONTROL PANEL-->SERVICES.

Try one or all but please re-boot if possible.
    MH

Lightbulb

Also, verify that the file (should be an .EXE) is in the folder that the app is looking in. If it is not just copy it into that folder either locally or from another workstation.
    MH

Cool

Assuming you're getting this error on the service startup, I recommend using oradim to delete, then recreate your service, once you have verified your pfile, datafiles and control files are all still available and located corrrectly.. If the associated drive on //emcs2 is offline, that'll cause the error.

Smile

Normally if I hit this problem I always use sql to startup and check what is the error messages display. Or check the alert file for detail cause of the problem. Usually, this is caused by the configuration of the init.ora file.

Regards

how about starting your database at linemode of server manager one step at a time. With this approach you can isolate the problem.
    svrmgrl> startup nomount;
    /*here you can detect if you have an instance problem, if not there could be an INITSID.ora problem */
    svrmgrl>alter database mount;
    /* here you can detect if your database can be mounted successfully, error will be posted if problem encountered, if database can't be mounted then you might have a problem of locating your database files */
    svrmgrl>alter database open;
    /* here if the database can't be open, there could be some datafiles that is missing and might be out of sync from your curent db, errors will also be posted if problem encountered*/

Then you can check the ALERT_SID.log for further investigation.