DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Resolving apostrophe in SQL

Question

How do you write a sql using a like function and the column uses apostrophe.

Ex.

select clnt_name from my_clnt where upper(clnt_name) like upper('St. Vincent's');

select clnt_name from my_clnt where upper(clnt_name) like upper('St. Vincent''s');

The query did worked, Do you have any other way of doing that. Let's say I'm an ordinary user and I am querying the database. You don't expect me to put two(2) single quote on the apostrophe...right.

Thanks,

Ed

Originally posted by edsperez
    Let's say I'm an ordinary user and I am querying the database. You don't expect me to put two(2) single quote on the apostrophe...right.
    If you are an ordinar user and you are querying the database *by typing the queries yourself* (using SQL*Plus or similar tool), *you are expected* to put two single quote on the apostrophe - that's how it works.

If you are an ordinar user and you are querying the database *by using a canned application*, then your programers are expected to take care of this to make life of application users easier....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?