DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What is the best OCP Certification references are there? STS, Exam Cram

ILT(?), Couchman guide, etc. Please tell me what is the best one to start with? Thanks

IMHO, Couchman is the definitive study guide.
    Jeff Hunter

I agree with marist89 but I complemented Couchman with the examcram. This will give you a firm basis to get you through the OCP exams.

HTH

tycho

ILT if you can get it. The tests are made directly from the ILT material. For the 8i Upgrade test read everything you can get your hands on

Lightbulb

Ask a simple question, get 100 different answers. I found the Couchman book somewhere between mildly informative and completely useless. This is strictly from an OCP (I want to pass the exam) point of view.

For me the winning combo was STS and ILT material as well as installing Oracle at home for practice. Caffeine, Rogaine, Prozac and most other sedatives are to be considered optional, alcohol is mandatory however.
    MH

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    Ask a simple question, get 100 different answers. I found the Couchman book somewhere between mildly informative and completely useless. This is strictly from an OCP (I want to pass the exam) point of view.
    Obviously, it's up to th eperson who uses the book. I passed all 5 exams using the Couchman's book. No STS, except the free stuff online.

For me the winning combo was STS and ILT material as well as installing Oracle at home for practice. Caffeine, Rogaine, Prozac and most other sedatives are to be considered optional, alcohol is mandatory however.
    MH
    :-)

Off the point, but I think that very few people at our working places comprehend the fact how much time and effords is passing the OCP exams. I have spent 100s of hours learning Oracle (not just for the OCP) but who cares....

I think most of you have spent plenty of time with Oracle books. Do people appreciate that? I doubt it :-)

Lightbulb

It is interesting how both Julian and Jeff (both people with Oracle experience) found the Couchman book to be very good whereas most inexperienced Oracle people seem to detest that book. I was referring to the Oracle 8 OCP book by Jason Couchman, just as a point of clarification. As it was stated on oraclenotes.com "Some people swear by this book and others swear at it" Perhaps it is the ticket if you are an experience Oracle guy looking to pass OCP. When I took the OCP I had no real Oracle experience, so I did not get too much from that book.

MH

You bring up a great point Mr. H! Not every book is intended for every audience.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by Julian:
    Obviously, it's up to th eperson who uses the book. I passed all 5 exams using the Couchman's book. No STS, except the free stuff online
    Ditto here !

Originally posted by Mr Hanky
    It is interesting how both Julian and Jeff (both people with Oracle experience) found the Couchman book to be very good whereas most inexperienced Oracle people seem to detest that book. I was referring to the Oracle 8 OCP book by Jason Couchman, just as a point of clarification. As it was stated on oraclenotes.com "Some people swear by this book and others swear at it" Perhaps it is the ticket if you are an experience Oracle guy looking to pass OCP. When I took the OCP I had no real Oracle experience, so I did not get too much from that book.
    I am a Veterinarian and a Horse rider at that !!!!

[Edited by Raminder on 10-31-2001 at 11:10 AM]

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.