DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Creating new DB

HELP!! I know I am missing something but I can't think of what. I am trying to create a second database on a development machine. (NT 4.0 SP6, Oracle 8.1.6.0.0). One db already exists on the machine and is operating just fine. Let's call this db "Mickey". I'm now trying to create a second db called "Minnie". (atleast I still have a sense of humor.) Anyway, I have not executed any scripts as of yet. I have created my "create database" script, create tablespaces, create users, etc. When I'm at the DOS prompt, I set Oracle_sid=Minnie, type svrmgrl to get server manager. I then connect internal/manager and say show parameters db*. It always shows up as Mickey. Shouldn't it show up as nothing, since Minnie has not been created yet. How can I create this second database? When I try to startup/nomount the new database with its init.ora, I get the message that the database is already running.

You need to create a new instance first. One instance can connect to one db only ( well, not exactly, but let's assume it is correct for now).

Leo

Did you create the new service for the new database in services? And the start the service. After setting these the set the sid and start srvmgrl

I have OracleServiceMickey
    OracleServiceMinnie

I stopped and restarted Lsnrctl.

I added the new sid_name = Minnie to the listener.ora file.

I added a new entry into my tnsnames.ora file.

The only way I can get svrmgrl to "point" to my new db is to shutdown the current db and startup the new one. But I shouldn't have to do this.