DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database link att:julian

Hello friends
    When iam trying to create the database link on clustered machines iam not able to test the database link successfully it is saying that link test is failed.(oracle 8.1.6 OS win2000).
    This database link iam trying to connect to remote replication site.What i want to ask is it better if we make the replication before adding the database to resource group. since after adding the database into the resource group the database link is not establishing.Iam going to have lot of problems without successfully creating this database link. Even i created the database links as told by julian i.e by using username and service name instead of alias.Please let me have all your comments and remarks.
    regards
    akhadar

Assume we want a DB link from DB1 to DB2:

1. Set GLOBAL_NAME to FALSE in initDB1.ora

2. Bounce the instance DB1.

3. Drop the old database link.

drop database link link_name;

4. DB1:

update GLOBAL_NAME set GLOBAL_NAME = DB1.WORLD;
    comit work;

DB2:

update GLOBAL_NAME set GLOBAL_NAME = DB2.WORLD;
    comit work;

5. I assume LISTENER is on 1521 for DB2.

create database link DB2.WORLD (connect to user_name identified by password) (using '(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=xxx.xxx.x.xx)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=DB2)));

6. try now

select SYSDATE from DUAL@DB2;

Hello julian
    Really iam running into trouble.Iam not able to change the Global_name parameter in init.ora to the database link name say(ricp.sceco.com)Since while starting the database it is giving the error
    ora-01078 -failure in processing the system parameters.
    If i change it to either true or false iam able to up the database. What is the problem.In SQLNET.ORA i didnot mentioned any default domain. Even in LISTENER.ORA i didnot mentioned any domain.Please let me clear about this problem i think if this is successful i may be able to create the database link successfully.
    regards
    akhadar

i think you are a bit confused about global_names and db_domain.
    Vinit

No not at all. The GLOBAL_NAME is used as the link to connect to other databases while the db_domain is the domain in which u are.My problem is not with the domain but with the creation of database link with the name we are going to mention with GLOBAL_NAME.
    regards
    akhadar

Hi,
    The global_names cannot accept any character or numeric values since it is boolean and will have only a logical value.
    if you want to connect to one particular database, change your db_domain and then change your tnsnames.ora file.
    Sorry, i cannot detail much on that since I have'nt used it myself.
    Vinit

Originally posted by akhadar
    Hello julian
    Really iam running into trouble.Iam not able to change the Global_name parameter in init.ora to the database link name say(ricp.sceco.com)Since while starting the database it is giving the error
    ora-01078 -failure in processing the system parameters.
    If i change it to either true or false iam able to up the database. What is the problem.In SQLNET.ORA i didnot mentioned any default domain. Even in LISTENER.ORA i didnot mentioned any domain.Please let me clear about this problem i think if this is successful i may be able to create the database link successfully.
    regards
    akhadar
    In sqlnet.ora set NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = WORLD

In init.ora set DB_DOMAIN = WORLD

And follow the instruction above!

Really iam running into trouble.Iam not able to change the Global_name parameter in init.ora ....
    GLOBAL_NAMES = TRUE (not GLOBAL_NAME) I missed the last S.

Thanks a lot julian it seems it is working all the tables start replicating the data to snapshot. Since there are lot of schemas are there so it will take time for me for checking.So for i configured my database by standalone after successful replication i will make it part of RESOURCE GROUP. Fianlly i found what was the problem.In replication site SQLNET.ORA consisting of DOMAIN NAME and new clustered server SQLNET.ORA didnot consist of this DOMAIN NAME.
    Any how once again thank u very much for your support.
    regards
    akhadar

Nice to hear the problem's over. As you see it can be up to such a small thing after all :-)