DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LOCALLY MANAGED TABLESPACES IN 8i

I AM CONFUSED ABOUT A FEATURE OF LOCALLY MANAGED TABLESPACES.
    IN A LOCALLY MANAGED TABLESPACE WE CAN NOT GIVE STORAGE FEATURES
    LIKE INITIAL , NEXT EXTENT , BUT WHILE CREATING A TABLE INSIDE A
    LOCALLY MANGAGED TABLESPACE IT IS ALLOWING ME TO GIVE THESE
    PARAMETERS ?
    HOW , CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THIS.

If your uniform extent size is say 1M, and you try to create a table with initial 5M, Oracle will allocate 5 extents each being 1M. 1M is the uniform size of the tablespace. In that case, your initial segment will consists of 5 extents.

because initial, next still works at segment level but physically they are divided in extent sizes

for example tablespace uniform extent size is 512K, you specify initial 2M, Oracle will allocate 4 512K extents for your initial, same applies for next

re: locally managed tablespaces

FIRST OF ALL THANX FOR THE PROMPT REPLY
    BUT I AM STILL BNOT CLEAR.
    WHY IT IS ALLOWING THE SYNTAX FOR STORAGE SETTINGS WHEN ON TABLESPACE LEVEL ITSELF IT DOES NOT PERMIT THE SETTINGS.
    REGARDS
    AMIT

If you want to know you probably have to ask developers in Oracle, I dont think even the support would know why
    But since many people still think a large initial would improve perfomance dramatically therefore they wont get *used* when they cannot set storage at segment level

With LMTs it doesn't really matter how many segments/extents you have.

It's for backwards compatibility of applications that run on an Oracle database.

Take BroadVision for example. When you create a table in BV it gives the storage parameters as a parameter to Oracle. This cannot be changed by me so if including these parameters in LMT caused an error this app would stop working. So they are effectively read and ignored by Oracle.

That way my third party software keeps working. Maybe in the future it will raise an error.