DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Migrate 7.3.4 (AIX) to 8i (Solaris) : Data Copy or EXP/IMP??

Hello,

We are migrating(coverting ?, I'm unclear on the correct term since we changing OS) around 200G from 7.3 on AIX to 8.1.7 on Solaris.

I am under the impressions that I cannot use ODMA or the Migration Utility. Is this still correct?

Secondly, has anyone tried to do this with the COPY command as opposed to EXP/IMP? What was or would be the time difference between these two methods? Any reason to use one over the other?

I am just begining to create the migration plan and I appreciate any help and guidance you can offer. The new hardware is not on site yet.

Thanks!!

Since you are changing platforms, SQL*Plus COPY and exp/imp are your only options. exp/imp requires less manual intervention than the COPY command. If you have a small schema, I would use COPY. If you have multiple schemas with lots of objects, I would use exp/imp.
    Jeff Hunter

Thumbs up

I agree with Jeff. If your schema have any complexity at all (constraints, triggers, sequences, etc), it would be a nightmare to recreate all of that without using exp/imp.