DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCP - Show me the money !!

Question

Hi guys,
    I know this question has been raised before but I didn't see any answer so here it is again. Well beside the indepth knowledge you've gained and the respect (hopefully) from your co-workers, how many people in here got a raise/promotion/recognition/$$/and more $$ after you have completed OCP ?? I know OCP is very valuable and rewarding and Oracle actually have some articles about it but it's just another pure propaganda so can someone please tell us the TRUTH? And finally please make this thread a constructive discussion.

well I think it depends on country again, I have 2 collegues who are certified in 8 & 8i but they didnt get any pay rise the company paied for the exams and that was it
    Probably in USA things are different

No short term financial fruits!!

Well, I got a pat on the back,

no pay raise or even the payment for my exam + materials ( it was self funded).

Did enhance my confidence levels..but am waiting to see financial fruits
    unless i move on to another company..economy in US is slow..and one tends
    to be anchored where ever one is !!!

What about others..

From my experience I have wittiness the following with regards to pay increases and certification.

In large IT shops; certification can mean moving into a position with more responsibility and pay.

If you are employed in a union position, certification sometimes will trigger an increase in the step/level you are at within your salary group (have a look at your collective agreement).

Working as a consultant usually results in a pay increase as the company can now bill you out at a higher rate. This happened to me 8 years ago; I was one of the first people in Canada to become a MCSE. The company gave me a 10% increase in salary and bumped my charge out rate 30%.

Typically though, if you are working in a small IT shop and stay in the same position, no salary increase, just a pat on the back (if you are lucky). It’s sad, but all to often in order to move up you have to move on.

Gee

Exclamation

Well!! If you are in USA and you are a permanent employeee in one of major tech companies then there will be a minimum raise.

90% of consulting companies are throat cut BUG****!!!
    they will charge to your client saying your are ORA DBA or MCSD and don't pay you .

So when you are opting for money on your OCP you better be !!!!!!!!!!

Hope i am not hurting anybody!!!

Ouch!! I'm currently working for one of the "big 5" I.T consulting firms in North America (i'm based in Canada) and this company doesn't seem to have a written promotion policy for completion of certified program. I've been working at the same client for 2 yrs and probably I don't think my company has any reasons to increase the rates. So far, they've paid for my exams and I was scheduled to attend the Oracle - B&R training but now I passed the test so I guess there is no need to take the course now.

Gee, how did you get your raise, did they automatically give you one when you informed them that you've completed or did you fight to get one?? I guess now would be a bad time to ask for anything since the whole economy is kinda slow right now. Thanks

NDT

NDT

It was a bit of both.

I informed them of the certification completion and that I wanted to take on more changeling roles. The discussion went on for a while; I started getting a feeling money was not going to be part of our chat, so I raised the issue. They did not have a problem matching my requested increase in salary as they new I could be charged out at a higher rate. Keep in mind NT Server was just starting to make head way then and a MCSE was a rare commodity.

From what I understand, their still is a big demand for Oracle people within consulting companies.

If you visit some of the Government Bid sites for consultants/contractors many are asking for Oracle as a skill.

Here are a couple of URLs from BC:

http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/bcbohtm/cat9722.htm
    http://www.postings.gov.bc.ca/infoplus.html

By the way, which company are you with and are you doing Oracle DBA work now?

Gee

gee,
    can individuals also bid for the contracts or you ought to have a company?

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

I'm doing application dba support for a transportation-related client. I've been doing it for 2 yrs already and i'm more like a developer dba. Other than the fact that OCP will enhance my knowledge in Oracle, I'm not too optimistic about getting a promotion/advancement after I've completed the thing.

I got higher salary after I became OCP DBA. But I did not ask for it. I was only informed that starting today your salary will be that and that. I cannot be even 100% sure that this is due to my OCP degree but I did not ask. I did not care. I did not go after OCP for the money.

Now, I am completing the other OCP degree, that of a certified developer (because I am not only the Senior DBA, I am also a Developer, but now I mostly write instrunctions to junior developers on what to do). I work a lot with PL/SQL, Oracle Reports. I used to do Forms at my previous job.

Is there somebody here who is both DBA and Developer OCP?
    If yes, which track did you find harder. I think it is definitely the DBA one.