DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-00600 and db verify

Hi there,

I'm using 8.1.6 on Linux. I got "ORA-00600 : internal error code, arguments: [6122], [0], [58], [0], [], [], [], []" when inserting data into a table. I then did dbverify with all the datafiles related to this table and found that the 2 index files in the index tablespace each contains one failed page. Finally I was able to figure out which index was causing the problem. After removing and recreating the index, I was able to insert data without getting the ORA 600 error. But when I did dbverify with the 2 index files, I got the exact same failed pages again! The error msg of one file is:

**** row 60: key out of order
    ---- end index block validation
    Page 201718 failed with check code 6401

The error msg of the other file:

**** actual rows locked by itl 3 = 12 != # in trans. header = 70
    ---- end index block validation
    Page 77152 failed with check code 6401

Should I do something about it or should I ignore it? Please help.

Thanks!

Tianhua

Is the table index organized? Sometimes, after parallel creation of a secondary index on an IOT, index key could be out of order. Oracle's workaround is creating the index sequentially.

Thanks Julian!

The table is not IOT, the index is a regular B tree index.

Tianhua

Did recreating the index help?

Yes. I no longer get ORA 600 error after recreating the index. But when I dbverify the index files I still got the same error (see my original post). I also did a full db export afterwards and didn't get any error. So the data should be fine. Maybe when I dropped the index, the DATA itself was not physically cleaned from the datafile, and it will be cleaned later when the space is needed??

How did you recreate the index, with rebuild or with drop and create? It is important not to rebuild (a non-partitioned) corrupt index with an "ALTER INDEX INDEX_NAME REBUILD". Thus you just build the new index from the existing index segment, which contains a corrupt block.

You are right. I tried to rebuild first and got ora 600 error. So I dropped the index and recreated it.