DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderators are abusing their power

Thumbs down

Hi friends,
    I don't know what you guys think but I find that Moderator in here (you know who you are) is quite annoying. I mean you can't go and close thread based on your own opinion. I find some threads in here are quite useful and all of a sudden a moderator closes it. A good example is the discussion of which is the good book for P&T exam. Well, i know this question has been asked before but as a new comer one may not know there is a search function that let you search for old stuffs. After all, we all come here to learn and if you're annoyed by this then don't be a moderator. Secondly, moderator also edits the content of the postings, c'mon guys respect individual rights. This is not a communist country after all. If you argue that the reason you close the thread is because it contains "illegal" materials. Well, let me tell you something, I can show you many other "open" threads that contain similar information. I hope this is a constructive feedback.

Regards

NDT

I suppport NDT.
    Gd_1976.

[Edited by gd_1976 on 10-09-2001 at 03:05 PM]

Threads get closed (by certain individuals, I know who I am) only for one of two reasons.

First, if the thread mentions buying/selling/trading of commercial study materials from a third party, it gets closed. This includes STS software, NetG software, Oracle ILT books, etc.

Second, if a thread starts one of these "Me Too" type discussions where people want something sent to them, it will get closed.

I typically don't close a thread if it is offending to one person or another. That's not my beef, I could care less.
    Jeff Hunter

yeah, i ned sts to studie 4 my exams. i cant ufford to by sts 'cuz i work at mcdonalds during the day and ned to studie at nite. who does this a---ole think he is anyway?
    OCP DBA 8i
    ocpwannabe@yahoo.com
    -----------------------------
    When in doubt, pick 'C'.

I think Jeff is doing a good job as Moderator ... for what I have seen threads only get locked for the stated reasons, which is the way it should be.

Keep up the good job of monderatoring!!!

Gee ... (getting ready to write my fourth exam P&T this Friday).

Question

Jeff, I respect you as the moderator and your DBA knowledge, and I don't have a problem if you following your "2 rules" but I see some other posts, which was closed by moderator, that your 2 rules may NOT be applicable for example this one:

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=16530

I was gonna post a recommendation for one of the books I've used to pass Oracle exams but somehow you decided to close it or this post:
    http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=16591

I didn't see (never had the chance) the whole content of this message but if you could care less why did you edit them. If you think the post violates your "rules" then just close it don't erase/modify the content of the message. The information may not be useful to you but it could be useful to many other newbies.

[Edited by marist89 on 10-09-2001 at 09:51 PM]

I also agree with Jeff's approach.

Thanks,

OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

I closed the thread because there were several "send me the stuff you studied with" and "me too" and "I have this stuff for sale..." replys to the thread. I closed the thread and then deleted the inappropriate messages. If that's abuse of the moderator privilege, then screw it, let these people peddle the illegal software on this forum and let STS sue internet.com and take the whole site down.
    Jeff Hunter

I also agree with Jeff. He is doing his duty.

Ocp Friend
    OCP 8i DBA
    Toronto, Canada

Jeff,

I think your doing a good job. well, except for editing the post of other members, coz i personally feel it's unethical and i think closing the thread alone is enough.

i know that being a moderator is a diffucult job. And you can't make everyone happy. But you have so far made this forum worth visiting. and you did a good job by not allowing this site to be a place for illegal software trade and stuff.

Good luck.

The Maverick