backup and recovery topic
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: backup and recovery topic

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    147
    Hi guys,
    Do we have to backup the control file when we perform:

    alter system archive log all

    I personally don't think this would change the structure of the database so I don't think we have to do a backup of the control file. What do you think guys??
    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    547
    It will cause a log switch to occur.
    Since oracle records the log switch in control file, it does change the control file.
    A backup of control file will be in order.

    Raminder Singh

    Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i


    Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    184
    depends on what you mean by "have". if u dont backup the controlfile and the structure of the db didnt change, you can recover through all your archived redo logs with another backup controlfile.
    OCP DBA 8i
    ocpwannabe@yahoo.com
    -----------------------------
    When in doubt, pick 'C'.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    147
    Originally posted by Raminder
    It will cause a log switch to occur.
    Since oracle records the log switch in control file, it does change the control file.
    A backup of control file will be in order.
    But still it didn't change the structural of the database therefore i don't think we need to backup of the control file.
    If what you're saying is true then is that mean we have to backup the control file everytime Oracle does a log switch??
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    147
    Originally posted by ocpwannabe
    depends on what you mean by "have". if u dont backup the controlfile and the structure of the db didnt change, you can recover through all your archived redo logs with another backup controlfile.
    I think I should use the word "should" instead of "have" !! Agree??



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    184
    Originally posted by NDT
    But still it didn't change the structural of the database therefore i don't think we need to backup of the control file.
    [/B]
    agreed. like u say, using this logic you would have to backup the cf everytime a logswitch happened. this is unnecessary, imho.
    OCP DBA 8i
    ocpwannabe@yahoo.com
    -----------------------------
    When in doubt, pick 'C'.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    261
    Guys,

    Can i perform a complete recovery when a tablespace is accidentally drop? or i have to perform an incomplete recovery using backup control file to restore the tablespace? (since the existing control file does not contain information on the tablespace that was droped.)

    Thanks

    The Maverick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width