DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: using log_file_name_convert

Try next version:

Log_file_name_convert="/u0*/oradata/prod","/u0*/oradata/standby"

log_file_name_convert= (('/u01/oradata/prod', '/u01/oradata/standby'),('/u02/oradata/prod', '/u02/oradata/standby'))

use double quotes not single quotes like

log_file_name_convert= ((''/u01/oradata/prod'', ''/u01/oradata/standby''),(''/u02/oradata/prod'', ''/u02/oradata/standby''))

It shud work
    sonofsita
    http://www.ordba.net

Just to prevent anyone reading this thread from making the mistakes propogated...the above "answer" by sonofsita is incorrect.

The proper method is to list each log_file_name_convert on a separate line, such as:

log_file_name_convert=('/u01/oradata/prod', '/u01/oradata/standby')
    log_file_name_convert=('/u02/oradata/prod', '/u02/oradata/standby')

While sonofsita provided information that is incorrect,
    it is also worth noticing that this is a 14 year old thread.

Also it could be that sonofsita had the commands stored in
    a string and was dynamically building SQL. Hence could
    be why the extra ticks were present.

Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by gandolf989 View Post
    While sonofsita provided information that is incorrect,
    it is also worth noticing that this is a 14 year old thread.
    I realize you're a moderator but what does BAD information have to do with WHEN it was given? The reason that I put the PRESCRIBED way to do it is so some newbee wouldn't spend his/her time chasing their tail because the method used was incorrect.

Also it could be that sonofsita had the commands stored in
    a string and was dynamically building SQL. Hence could
    be why the extra ticks were present.
    I light of what I've said this really doesn't matter, does it? Are you attempting to shame me or show off, because you're not contributing anything to this thread. Using the same logic that you attempt to use it could be said that sonofsita had a very senior DBA who did it for him & was talking out his fourth point of contact...because YOU DON'T KNOW if sonofsita was dynamically building SQL or had someone else do it for him...and anything you say is conjecture.

Jeez. Go moderate something and leave someone, who was trying to prevent other's errors due to erroneous information, a break.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for fixing mistakes of the past and I am not trying to make you go away.
    Stay and post as much as you like. Even though I am a moderator on this site I am forced to Google
    as much as anyone else. If I am looking for information related to a 11g or 12c database, I tend to
    only look at posts from the last 5 years, ideally the last 2 years.

If someone who is new to Oracle is looking for information about creating a database and they find
    a post talking about sizing rollback segments and dictionary managed table spaces they will probably
    get confused because those things went away starting with 9i and ultimately 10g. They may also
    realize that in the realm of software any answer in any post that you see has an expiration date,
    and it is not worth while looking too far back. Unless of course you are still supporting 8i or 7.3.4.
    Hopefully you aren't supporting anything older than 10g, although 11g would be better.

In the 15 years that I have been posting on this site I sometimes notice people updated old threads
    and I wonder if they realize that the people who posted to that thread have long ago moved on and
    are no longer concerned with the post. As Oracle changes there are new options, new syntax and the
    advice from even 4 or 5 years ago doesn't always apply.

If you want to contribute feel free to post to the How To board with any advice that you think people should see.
    Thanks for caring and keep posting.