DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ora 3113

HI i am getting end of file communication channel when I try connecting to svrmgrl.
    Also I am able to run oracle scripts dbshut and dbstart..how come???
    THe scripts work perfectly and connect internal also.
    BUt otherwise when I try to connect to svrmgrl manually I get this error.

THanks for any suggestion.
    KN

ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel

Cause: An unexpected end-of-file was processed on the communication channel. The problem could not be handled by the Net8, two task, software. This message could occur if the shadow two-task process associated with a Net8 connect has terminated abnormally, or if there is a physical failure of the interprocess communication vehicle, that is, the network or server machine went down.

Action: If this message occurs during a connection attempt, check the setup files for the appropriate Net8 driver and confirm Net8 software is correctly installed on the server. If the message occurs after a connection is well established, and the error is not due to a physical failure, check if a trace file was generated on the server at failure time. Existence of a trace file may suggest an Oracle internal error that requires the assistance of customer support.

MH

Are you using 8i or 9i? This error is very generic, lots of things can cuase this error to come up.

Database 8.1.6

I am facing this problem after encountering a core dump error.
    I have shutdown by running the dbshut (suprisingly it worked)
    but could not do it manually by connecting to svrmgrl it gave me the ora 3113 error, I wonder why??

Thanks in advance.

KN

This error is typically a result of some other error. I would bet the root cause of your problem lies within the trace file generated from your core dump.
    Jeff Hunter

Yes Jeff you are right, it is caused by the coredump, and will need to rebounce the server to get over it. THanks
    KN

Take a look at the metalink Note:1020463.6 If you have any problems, please let us know ...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Also, be sure your ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID environment variables are set when you go into svrmgrl.

dbshut and dbstart read these from oratab and set them when they start the database that is probably why they work and svrmgrl does not.
    Doug