Hi,

Some largely irrelevant info - We are running 8.1.6 on Windows 2000. Our application creates hundreds of tables containing result sets. In order to produce a final result set, these tables are unioned, intersected or minused (dependant on business rules) to achieve this. This generates masses of code which overflows Oracle's 32K Sql buffer. The code has to include the schema prefix, as we are using different schemas for different things. For example, the code might be "select * from schema.resulttable1 minus (select * from schema.resulttable2) intersect".........etc. If we shorten the schema name from, say, HALIFAX to H, then we will effectively have more room in the Sql buffer. The schema is very complex and is linked into many other repository tables.

So, enough of the waffle.........the question is........can I simply, somehow, rename the schema. I suspect that Oracle will not recommend/support this, but does anyone have experience of doing this successfully ? After all, I believe that the Schema name is just a description for an Object ID. Import\export to a new schema is really not an option ........trust me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.