DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Certification Preparation

$10,000 !!!! Geezzz, for three days... Crickey... surely that's too much to charge... What, do you get 3 Course meals and accomidation at the Hilton during the course? For that price,. I'd hope so.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Julian,

That is pretty expensive. I personally thinks it's not worth taking the course. i mean you have a good background in Oracle and you are already an OCP (please correct me if i'm wrong), certification and experience, that's a good combination to get a high paying job.

$10,000 that's about my 1 1/2 year net salary.

The Maverick

1 1/2 year net? Where are you based again?
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Julian,

Can you get training in English in either Talinn or St. Petersburg? Maybe there is a chance for some arbitrage.

$10,000 is outrageous. On the other hand, maybe training is a good line of work to look at.

David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

No accomodation :-) I take a bus each morning from home to Oracle. Food yes, and buns :-) May be the Oracle Instructor will stay at the Hilton. They found one only from America (no one in Europe who teaches that course).

You are right, I am OCP. I also have a high paying job. But I want to get the Oracle Master degree, I will be the first in Finland to have such a degree (probably one of the first ones in Europe to have a Scalability Master dwgree). It requires 3 courses:

Data Modeling and Relational Database Design
    Oracle 8i: Parallel Server Implementation
    Oracle 8i: Implementing Scalable Systems

I cannot find a place in Europe where to pass the $10000 course (i.e. Implementing Scalable Systems). The other two courses in Europe cost about $1000 each. I am still waiting for some European country to start organizing this course. It is a crazy thing to pay $10000!

Can you get training in English in either Talinn or St. Petersburg? Maybe there is a chance for some arbitrage.
    I would not go there for 3 days if somebody pays me that much :-)

That was a joke but I don't think Oracle organizes there so advanced courses.

Grjohnson,

1 1/2 years NET. I'm from the Philippines. $10,000 is around 510,000 Pesos.

Cheap labor huh? Im kinda hoping to get a job outside my country after I finish my certification. (I hope so)

The Maverick

[Edited by D Maverick on 10-18-2001 at 10:59 AM]

D Maverick.. that'd be good for the Philippines right. It's like that, I mean what we all earn in our own countries is fine for where we are living, it's when you start comparing it to either the US and especally the UK you start to consider travelling abroad to make some serious money.

The best thing about going to either the US or the UK, when you eventually come back to your home country and convert your currency back... that's when it's all worthwhile.

OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

GrJohnson,

You are absolutely right on that. most I.T professionals here would go to US or UK for just 2000 USD a month, its about 100,000 PHP here.

I know someone here (OCP-DBA) who went to the US and he is earning about 5K USD, and that's about 250K PHP. But for now, it's wishful thinking for me.

The Maverick