DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need Oracle 8 RMAN recovery catalog advice

Hybrid View

Question

I have a server with several instances running on it. Each instance contains a production database and a recovery catalog for another instance on the box. The theory being if database A gets corrupted, it's rcvcat is safe in database B. About a month ago I had a problem with a hardware failure which rendered all the databases inaccesable. I couldn't even recover from tape since my catalogs were basically down. Luckily when the bad hardware was replaced all the databases were fine. I consider myself lucky.

In this situation would it have been possible to pull anything off the tape without the recovery catalog? When using a rcvcat, is any recovery information stored in the control file at all which could be used to do a recovery?

Ideally I would like to have two identical servers and move some of these production databases to the other box and then have the recovery catalogs on pointing to the other servers. Financially that is not doable. Another alternative might be having a single database on a server and have it be the recovery catalog for all the production boxes. Is it possible for a recovery catalog to hold multiple databases? Or would I need to have a separate instance with a rcvcat?

IMHO, Do Not use Recovery Catalog if you have just one machine.
    Have a look at the following threads for more discussion on rcat:

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=16089

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=16051

These will give you a fair idea of where you are headed.

[Edited by Raminder on 10-15-2001 at 12:47 PM]

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

I agree, only use recovery catalog if you can run it on a seperate machine than your production box. You can run RMAN for multiple databases in the same recovery catalog. I backup about 700G per day and my recovery catalog sits on a Ultra 10 with 2x18G drives and 256M RAM.
    Jeff Hunter

Replication

Hi Guys

I have a master site with oracle 7.3.2 and OS SCO with 35 tables.

I want to replicate this 35 tables onto Oracle 817 on Windows
    2000 at my client side.

Can u help me with the steps to follow to accomplish this.

Thanks in Advance
    Ravi

Irrelevent subject to this thread ...

[Edited by sambavan on 10-15-2001 at 05:07 PM]
    ravi

Hi Fizzlewhif,

You do not need a extremely good server for the recovery catalog, just have a basic one and you should be able to backup your data safely and recover it in case of the target server is totally gone.

Hi Ravi,

I think you might need to export your data into the new server. Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get the catalog on another server. I have another question concerning RMAN.

According to the Oracle 8 Backup and Recovery Handbook, I should resync the catalog to update it with the information on log switches and archivelogs. Would it be safe for me to include the resync catalog command at the end of my script which handles the backup of the database and archive logs?

Arrow

It will automatically resync the catalog when you run a backup.

However, you need to run an RMAN script at least hourly to resync the catalog between backups. The reason for this is, for example, if you backup every day and create 100 archived redo logs daily, and your database crashed 23 hours after the last backup, you would have to manually catalog 96 redo logs into RMAN before you could run a complete recovery. You don't want to have to do that.