DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ? whether to take ocp

Talking

Let me start this by saying that I am one of the lucky few. For me the OCP was my ticket into the database department at my company. I went from the help desk (yuk!) supporting proprietary applications to the DB department. I had to go to school on my own time and my own dime and complete the OCP. After that it took quite a few months of networking and persistence to land the "Monkey Boy" job. I love that phrase and it is true, I am the DBA gopher and am thankful for that. Although now I do officially have my own DB's to look after (woo hoo!) it is really nice to have a few seniors to bounce ideas off before I drop the system tablespace.

So, there is my example of why OCP is important. Just keep in mind that from what I hear this is not the norm and it took a lot of work to get here. Now the "real" work begins.
    MH

I havent taken a single exam and not planning to take any should I re-consider :-?

Hey pando, with your experience and extensive knowledge in Oracle, having an OCP is definitely not bad idea. Lets say you and a clone 'Pando' who has an OCP applying for a dream DBA job, guess who will have an edge?? That's my 2cents

uh thass nice compliments

may be I should reconsider... I dont have that much exp neither just about a year and 3 months or so....

Its cool to here everyone's experience. It seems Mr. Hanky really lucked out according to everyone else's background. Good for you Mr. Hanky. Anyone else got there first dba job from getting the ocp?

I got my first job without ocp, got 3 afterwards with experience... got offered a job last week to work in oracle's rdbms premium support services, seems that in oracle they dont look for ocp

may be ocp could help you to get a job... but may be in usa definitely not in europe, the peeps here have a different mind

mr.hanky is probably a different story, he switched from a position to another in same company, in other words he already had a job. I have seen people in shops I have been changed from one position to another because of shortage of technical persons in the desired position and the man himself showed enthuasism and knowledge (even basic but he showed he knew the stuff)

[Edited by pando on 10-15-2001 at 03:46 PM]

I got my start with Oracle DBA when my company bought an application that used Oracle as a backend. The IT group was swamped and wanted nothing to do with it. I bravely said I can do MS Access so I should be able to do Oracle. I jumped in when over my head no other senior DBA there... I learned by fire. That was 6 years ago...... I have since left that company and am working somewhere else as a senior dba. I just got my OCP this year... I did get this job I currently have based on experience not OCP but I figured it can't hurt and forced me to learn Oracle better.

Originally posted by GARYM
    I got my start with Oracle DBA when my company bought an application that used Oracle as a backend. The IT group was swamped and wanted nothing to do with it. I bravely said I can do MS Access so I should be able to do Oracle. I jumped in when over my head no other senior DBA there... I learned by fire. That was 6 years ago...... I have since left that company and am working somewhere else as a senior dba. I just got my OCP this year... I did get this job I currently have based on experience not OCP but I figured it can't hurt and forced me to learn Oracle better.

GARYM,

This how I got started about 10 months ago. Its good to hear from someone in a similar situation.

mcorbin

[Edited by mcorbin on 10-15-2001 at 09:22 PM]

GARYM , I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it forced you to learn Oracle better.

My wife was a MS Access trainer ... she never did a lot of development with it before getting certificated and even less when she was teaching the course.

On the other hand I learnt the product by working with it for a number of years. She would often present me with tough problems that came up in one of her classes where I was able solve only because of my experience. On the other hand she would often point out a cleaner way to do some task or point me a direction I never new existed.

So in my experience certification can only make you that much better and is well worth the investment in time and money.

Gee

The difference between MS Access and Oracle is like the difference between a server and a waitress :-)