DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ? whether to take ocp

I am currently a m/f programmer. I would like to eventually make a transition into the dba area. I have a question about data architect/data warehouse architect. Is becoming a dba the proper steps in aiming at data architecture, or does anyone have any type of advice. Somewhat confused. Thanks.

Being in the "DBA" role means different things to different people. Some companies have Data Architects that all they do is design systems. In these companies, DBA's typically perform more of an administrative role. In other companies, DBA's are the guy who knows the most about Oracle but still writes code like anybody else. Others still, the DBA is an intergal piece of the development team that helps with the architecture and implementation. It all depends on the kind of organization you are with.
    Jeff Hunter

I guess that is whats so confusing. Which way to go. Will the ocp be a plus on a person like myself

Depends, what's your overall goal? If you are looking to become a data architect, no an OCP DBA will probably not give you tremendous advantage. If you are looking at becoming a DBA with some responsibilities as a data architect, then yes, having an OCP DBA will not hurt. It won't be the answer to all your prayers, but it won't hurt.

The level you are seeking as either a DBA or a Data
    Architect is a high level position. Either DBA nor DA is an "entry level" type job. You need to look at a long-term (5 year) plan to get you where you want to be. Look for a job either in your company or another in the same industry you currently are in. Work with some modern development tools (Forms, Java, C++, SQL) and technolgies (Web development, n-tier, even Client/Server) and learn all you can about Relational Design, OO Design, and Modeling. As you work on more systems you will learn all you can about the RDBMS you work on. At that point, you can make a transition to DA or DBA whichever you prefer.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks for your advice marist89. Does anyone else have something to add, say there own experience similar to this. Thnx.

I have started out as a developer then slowly moved into DBA role within the company, after six months or so I'll work on my 9i ocp then look for job in another company.

Hey thats great. Now when you mean developer to dba role, what kind of developer were you? and What are you roles now?. Is moving toword an MIS dept. a good move to get more familiar with databases. One that deals with oracle and unix,nt, etc

HI Kesone,
    what happened to me is that I came to US as a developer (Forms , Reports and PL/Sql Programmer) 2 yrs back, I did my OCP developer and when my company had a DBA position?, I just grabbed, niow i have around six months of dba experience and almost 60% OCP 8i. We need to have some kind of break.
    Hope this helps.
    Gd_1976

I have done development using Developer 2000 and Visual Basics, right now I do Installation and configration, Backup and recovery along with some other Administration Tasks. We are primerlyNT shop but we also have some UNIX boxes as well.

Originally posted by kesone95:
    I guess that is whats so confusing. Which way to go. Will the ocp be a plus on a person like myself
    It depends upon your complete background and experience.
    If you have a degree in computers or related field, and experience as a developer (preferably in databases), OCP will definitely give boost to your carrier.
    Not having an Engineering/ Computer Science degree is a big disadvantage, as I am learning the hard way. I am basically a doc with postgraduation in Biotechnology. I pursued Oracle because of my tremendous interest in the field and appeared in the OCP Exams to prove to myself that I can do it. I passed with good marks but it all seems a waste of effort now.
    If I try to change my professional field to database administration/ development, people dont take it seriously. More than the OCP status, they go down and see your fundamental qualifications and experience.
    (label1)So my advise is, if you are a computer/ engineering graduate and have experience in database development, go for OCP DBA. Else loop to (label1)

[Edited by Raminder on 10-11-2001 at 02:37 AM]

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.