DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HELP on configuring SGA

Unhappy

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask your advice on configuring my Oracle Server's SGA size (for OLTP). I have a machine with 512MB of RAM running WindowsNT

1. how much memory must i allocate for the SGA? currently its about 40% of the total RAM.

2. how much size will i allocate for the Data Buffer Cache? Log Buffer? and Shared Pool Size?

3. what should be the size of my Redo Log Files in relation to my Redo Log Buffer

I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks

The Maverick

2. how much size will i allocate for the Data Buffer Cache? Log Buffer? and Shared Pool Size?

3. what should be the size of my Redo Log Files in relation to my Redo Log Buffer

Log Buffer - Depending on what is going through the system, but there is rarely any benefit to setting this over 1 MB. I keep it set at the default, at the most doubleing it. Buffer Cache and Shared Pool. Off the cuff, I'd make my BUFFER CACHE 3/4 of your SGA and the Shared Pool 1/4 of the size.

3). Redo logs size should haven't have much bearing on the size of your redo buffer and vice-versa... unless of course you are doing something with HIGH VOLUME inserts. Then that's a different story. Redo Log size depends on how often you want your REDO LOGS to switch. This will also determine the recoverability of the database.

Cheers,

[Edited by grjohnson on 10-10-2001 at 04:49 AM]
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia