DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help on configuring the SGA

Unhappy

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask your advice on configuring my Oracle Server's SGA size. I have a machine with 512MB of RAM running WindowsNT

1. how much memory must i allocate for the SGA? currently its about 40% of the total RAM.

2. how much size will i allocate for the Data Buffer Cache? Log Buffer? and Shared Pool Size?

3. what should be the size of my Redo Log Files in relation to my Redo Log Buffer

I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks

The Maverick

Originally posted by D Maverick
    Hi Guys,

I would like to ask your advice on configuring my Oracle Server's SGA size. I have a machine with 512MB of RAM running WindowsNT

1. how much memory must i allocate for the SGA? currently its about 40% of the total RAM.
    Normal philosophy is 1/3 of Total RAM, but it could go up...

[
    2. how much size will i allocate for the Data Buffer Cache? Log Buffer? and Shared Pool Size?
    LogBuffer normally would be 1K. The other two depends on the shop and its an evolving process. You keep tuning...

3. what should be the size of my Redo Log Files in relation to my Redo Log Buffer
    Its again depends on the shop. Normally 5M is optimal

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi Guys,

Depending on how many users are involved, I typically like to keep below 60% of physical RAM. 40% is pretty good if you have alot ( >100) concurrent users with dedicated connections.

Depends on the application. Typically, I like to start off with 64M shared_pool, 64M large_pool, and 64M of db_block_buffers and then I tune from there.

Again, depends on the app. A really large log_buffer will not give you tremendous performance gains. I like to start off my log buffer at about 1M and adjust up or down depending on activity. My typical redo-log is 16M but can go up to 128 depending on log switch frequency.
    Jeff Hunter

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sambavan

[
    LogBuffer normally would be 1K. The other two depends on the shop and its an evolving process. You keep tuning...

Sam
    Sorry for the wrong suggestion on Log Buffer. LogBuffer normally would be 1M and not 1K

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Thank you very much Sam & Jeff !

The Maverick