DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database Life Expectancy

Question

Hi,

Question for u guys ? How do u estimate the database life expectancy for a specific version ? What I mean is, how long (in years) u can live with a specific version of the Oracle DB before u r left with no other option to migrate ?

For example, I am working with Oracle 7.3.4.1.0. Enterprise Edition on HP-UX 11.0. How long and what factors should be considered before deciding that it is about time to migrate ?
    Pls ignore the factor on Oracle Support.

Murali
    Murali

Most of the times it works in sync with the oracle support, and majorly on how much your company can caugh out The other factors that would preceed are the applications, would they function, the same way as they are currently functioning and etc...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Right,

I agree with u. Let us say, I am already out with Oracle support but the database and the application keeps going good so far. What I am trying to find out is what is the worst case scenerio wherein I would not be able to live without performing a migration ?

Murali
    Murali

O.K, say for example that your application upgrade would want to use Java, XML, LOBs, Bit map indexing, partitioning, etc and etc, then you are forced to do the migration as some or most of these features are not supported under the old version. I would consider this as my breaking point, where my application can only run on certain version and above...

Oracle 8 server concepts
    Oracle 8i (8.1.6) New Features"

Hope these would help you...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

The rule of many shops is "If it works dont change it unless you want to improve your app and it requires new features of new db versions"

The boss rules so

In general the life expectancy of RDBMS is 7 years.