DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OEM setup with Oracle Client 817

Hello..
    OK.. I got the OEM configured till discovering nodes .. I am able to see that the OEM could discover the node after I put in the IP address of the machine. Then when I tried to connect, it gives me an error of ora-12545 and says the db does not exist.. I dont understand.. My db name is sebl and it is dimmed in the user authentication window, but my tnsname is ibm.sebl i.e., I have only a client on my workstation and I connect as system/manager@ibm.sebl..
    What do I do now ??
    Thanks, ST

Yeah.

O.K here are some informations. You can have the management server on your local system and use the AIX database. The primary reason behind my suggestion to set OMS on the AIX was considering the ease of management.

Now.

Considering you want to set it on AIX
    ===========================

1. First go to $ORACLE_HOME/bin and check to make sure that you have a file emca

ls -la |grep emca

2. If you could find one, you could execute it as

./emca

2.1 If you do not find the file, it means that you have not installed the OMS in the present home. If you want, you can run the installer from the AIX CD and install the oracle management server under different home and then set your PATH appropriately and then invoke the emca from that directory. If you decide to choose this path, make sure you have the tnsname.ora file configured once after the installation of OEM.

3. Follow the earlier mentioned steps...

Considering you want to set it on NT
    ==========================

1. Go to your ORACLE_HOME

2. Open the bin directory

3. Check to see whether you have the emca or check through the start menu to see whether you have Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant listed under.

4. If you do not find it, then put in the Oracle CD and install the oracle management server under different oracle home

5. Now you would have to configure the tnsnames.ora file under this oracle home and then you would be able to find the emca under this oracle home's bin directory.

If you have any problems please let me know.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Check your tnsnames.ora file. Also do you have the Intelligent agent started on the server

lsnrctl dbsnmp_start;

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Yes Sir.. I did both..
    Infact I created an extra service name for TNSNames.ora..
    Still I get the 12545 error..
    Thanks, ST

Originally posted by st2000
    I am able to see that the OEM could discover the node after I put in the IP address of the machine. Then when I tried to connect, it gives me an error of ora-12545 and says the db does not exist..
    To better undestand, could you tell me at what point exaclty, you were getting the errror?

Where have you setted the OMS?

On the database discovery, you would specify the SID and not the service name. The port is normally 1521

BTW, No formal naming pl. !

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

For some reason, after a reboot, I suppose am unable to start the management services under NT services.. Giving a windows error.. So I shall resolve it and then get back to you again..
    Where I got the error is:
    Since I have a client ONLY, it had OEM, but I was problems. Then I installed a seperate CD with OEM and other diagnostic tools and at the end of the installation, it gave me screens to create a OMS and it created a TS in my unix box after I gave the IP address.. It got successfully created and I was able to log into the OMS screen and discovered node etc., Once it said it is successful, I could log into and want to see the schema. Over there it again asked for user/pwd and service etc., and service is dimmed totally. At that point it is not letting me in and giving ora-12545..
    I simply rebooted the machine, due to some memory issues and after that I get that vtk-100 error. I checked the services listed under controlpanel and Management server is automatic but did not start and when i manually started it is giving windows errors..
    Thanks, ST

I think ,U would like to create the repositry in your client side itself and want to monitor your Oracle server under AIX thru various option like Schema manager/instance manager from the client side OEM.

If u understood u problem correctly.

1.Check if oracleagent service is in your client side
    2.Check if oraclemanagement service is in your client side
    3.Create a repositry thru enterprisemanager->configuration assistant option. ( If u leave the service column as empty,it will create reposirty in your local database

4.Start the above two services ( Agent,Management)
    5.Login OEM by sysman/oem_temp@managementserver
    6.Create Tnsnames for your AIX server in your client machine.
    7.Now while going thru schema/instance/storage manager
    give the AIX Server's username/password@service.

We are monitoring this way our 13 Oracle Servers under AIX servers which are locatated in geographically different locations.

Thankx
    Jeyaseelan

Sorry without seeing the second page ,i replied.

Anyway sambavan has given a clear cut solution for you.

Thanks Jayaseelan and Sambavan: I am explaining my situation once again. Please let me know if you know more details..

Yes.. I did create the OMS on the client side, since when the OEM installer created it had the host name as "my computer name" and also I saw the service on the NT services.

The Installer identified the db on Aix and created a TS on the box. A new user is created "sysman/oem_temp" on the db as well. On the workstation I have only the client. I configured my tnsnames.ora, mimiced the connection from client to server and as well started lsnrctl dbsnmp. I was able to discover the node successfully when I gave the IP address. I tried accessing the box after I enter the GUI where it shows me the names of the databases within categories like listeners, instances etc., and over there it gives me ora-12545 error..

When I did a reboot, even the services failed to start and now it gives vtk-1000 error. Either I resolve or install again my OEM on the workstation..

Where am I going wrong ??

What else can I do ??

My goal is to have OEM setup and usable by users without having to have local databases.. But obviously it implies they should have OMS on their workstations, right??

Thanks, ST

The problem is solved.
    Thanks for all your efforts..

Reason: my hosts file does not have a mapping entry. Once I added the mapping entry it worked..

Thanks, ST