DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Backup commands

Hi everyone, I was trying to read some documents about non-RMAN recovery method (I'm a junior DBA) and I find the following commands are quite confusing:

1) SET AUTORECOVERY ON
    2) RECOVER DATAFILE.....
    3) RECOVER AUTOMATIC DATAFILE....

Well, do we have to run SET AUTORECOVERY ON everytime we begin the recovery process (e.g right after you take the infected datafile offline) ??

Secondly, what's the different between RECOVER DATAFILE ... command and RECOVER AUTOMATIC DATAFILE ... comand. Is it the same thing??

Thirdly, if I use do not run SET AUTORECOVERY ON does that mean I have to run RECOVER AUTOMATIC DATAFILE instead of RECOVER DATAFILE command.

I'm very confused. Muchly appreciated if anyone of the gurus in here can give me a crash course on these commands.
    Thx a bunch

1) SET AUTORECOVERY ON

This command just tell the database that you will recover your database until
    final available log file. As I know, this command has to be run first before issue:
    RECOVER AUTOMATIC DATAFILE....

2) RECOVER DATAFILE.....

This command let you recover your datafile...
    if incomplete recovery, you will be asked to recover until (you have to choose:
    Auto
    Cancel
    or other options)

3) RECOVER AUTOMATIC DATAFILE....

This command is just tell the database that you will recover until final available log file.
    Same as second command which you choose Auto.