DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OEM setup with Oracle Client 817

Hello DBAs:
    I have installed and setup the Oracle Client on my host and I have configured my TNS Names and can connect to the server. The server is on IBM AIX Oracle 817. My host is Windows NT 4.0 SP5.. I am looking to setup the OEM and access the server. Prior to this I have configured OEM while I had a local database and now only the client.. How would I do the same now?? Setting up Management Server etc.,
    Basically the idea is to have clients setup on NT boxes for users and have them access Oracle.. Only DBA Studio is not enough...
    Thanks, ST

To have the OEM working you have to have a repository created in one of your instances ... To create the repository use.

$ emca

Then start the management server as

oemctrl start oms

Once you start it, you can connect to it as

lsnrctl dbsnmp_start <-- start the intelligent agent
    vppcntl -start <- start the data gatherer

oemapp console

username: sysman
    password: oem_temp
    host: your database server name

If you have any problem, please let us know of the error message and the problem...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Thanks Sambavan:
    I typed emca , only to see the message that emca is not found. Please be more detailed..
    Can I achieve this OEM configuration, without having a db locally and only on a remote machine.. If so, please xplain in detail, step by step.. I really appreciate it..
    Thanks, ST

First of all where would you like to set up your management server. If on NT do you have an oracle database instance on NT. The commands that I gave you were to the AIX. If you plan to install the management server repository on the AIX server then follow the the steps I gave you earlier untill that of starting the data gatherer.

Let me know ...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Sambavan: Let your steps in helping me not go into a loop..
    Let me xplain the situation so you can best advice without any confusion..
    I have installed a Oracle Enterprise Edition 817 for IBM Aix.
    I have named the instance as SEBL. I have the listener configured and so I can connect to the database remotely from any client. Now my workstation is Win NT 4.0. It will not contain an Oracle DB, but has an Oracle Client 817. When I installed Oracle Client, I installed Administrative veraion, which includes almost everything such as OEM as well.
    Now I want to set up OEM... and so I can access the server from the clients and so on...
    What I need is "steps in detail to achieve this"..
    I can use dba studio, but is very limited and that is not the goal. As well, I do not want to have an Oracle DB (full fledged dtabase) created on my workstation.. Is that OK ??
    Now, please tell me what do you need from me to verify from the server or the client in terms of achieving this???
    Thanks, ST

You can use the same oracle instance on AIX to create your repository and run the management server on it and then you can connect to it using OEM clients from any platform. The steps to create the management server on AIX are as follows ...

1. Login to AIX as oracle user

2. Invoke the oracle enterprise manager configuration assistant to create the repository...

$ emca

3. Follow the GUI instructions to create the OEM repository.

4. Once after the repository creation gets over, you have to start the management server on the AIX system..

$ oemctrl start oms

5. Confirm that OMS had been started as:

$ oemctrl status oms sysman/oem_temp

6. Now remember to start the intelligent agent and the data gatherer as follows:

$ lsnrctl dbsnmp_start
    $ vppcntl -start

7. Confirm that they have been started as follows:

$ lsnrctl dbsnmp_status
    $ vppcntl -status

8. Now on your windows NT open the OEM client and enter

username: sysman
    password: oem_temp
    host: AIX-Hostname

9. Now use the discoverer to discover the node and start working

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Thanks for the detailed reply Sambavan. After loggin in as Oracle User, I tried invoking emca like how you described, and I got back message saying it's not found. What do I lack here and what should I do? Do you think I might not have installed emca?? Where would this emca be.. I checked Ora_home/bin and few more directories ... Unless I invoke this I cannot create a repository and go forward...
    What are my choices..
    What does creating repository mean and how is it used?

Hi St2000,

You can have the Managment Server on your client and the repository on the AIX sever. Try to start oracle enterprise manager configuration assistant, emca, from your client ( at the DOS prompt ). Then you can create a repository on the AIX server.

How do you start emca on the client (at the dos prompt)..
    When I type in sqlplus un/pwd@tns, I can get connected to the box, and when i type emca at DOS, it does not recognize.
    Thanks, ST

Hello Sambavan: Are you there ???
    Thanks, ST