DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle SErvices

I try to delete Oracle services by using the Oradim and here is the command:

ORADIM -DELETE -SID SID_NAME

instead of deleting the Oracle services, it's only disable it and it look likes this:

the Status say STARTING
    the Status type say DISABLE

can someone tell me what happen and why ???

this will happen when I create the Oracle Services by using startmode auto

Did you perform a clean shutdown of the database first?

Julian,

thanks for your reply, I never be able to shutdown the database, this is the very first step when you create the database. What happened was I create the Oracle service with the STARTMODE AUTO and the server hang, so I tried to created the ORADIM with STARTMODE MANUAL and it work fine, so I just try to delete this service and look like it doesn't allow me to. When I go to Serives in control panel to change the mode to auto and it's telling me that it marked for deletion.

Have any idea to delete this service. Your prompt reply is greatly appreciated.

You have to clean shutdown first before you delete.

In some cases the OracleStart service may not get
    deleted. You can manually remove that service with the command:

ORADIMxx -DELETE -SRVC

where service_name is the full name of the oracle service.

Remember that stopping the OracleService does not perform a clean shutdown of the database.

Julian,

That's exactly what I did, I create many databases before and this is the first time I run into this problem. when I tried to create Oradim it hang and I have to close it, when I tried to delete Oradim, it changed the status type to DISABLE instead of deleting it. Now it will be marked for deletion and I change do anything with it. Can you give me some other way to get it out of the service. Those steps won't work.

Thanks

Originally posted by julian
    Remember that stopping the OracleService does not perform a clean shutdown of the database.
    Well, this is at least a little inaccurate. By stopping the service you can perform a perfectly clean shutdown (in IMMEDIATE or in NORMAL mode), depending on your service settings. You can check those settings in the registry, the relevant keys are ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN, ORA_SID_SHUTDOWNTYPE and ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT. BTW, as mike73 apparently uses ORADIM (not ORADIMxx) I'm assuming he is using 8i.

Mike73, if you can't get rid of your oracle service with ORADIM, you can delete it manualy. Run REGEDIT and go to HOTKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete the service you want (OracleServiceSID), then restart your computer.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

By stopping the service you can perform a perfectly clean shutdown (in IMMEDIATE or in NORMAL mode), depending on your service settings.
    From METALINK: Stopping the OracleService does NOT perform a clean shutdown of the database.

Ref.: Doc ID: Note:61621.1

[QUOTE]Originally posted by julian
    [B]
    From METALINK: Stopping the OracleService does NOT perform a clean shutdown of the database.

Ref.: Doc ID: Note:61621.1
    Well, those documents on metalink are sometimes (often!) inaccurate or out of date. This particular document was originaly written in 1997 (!) and revised a couple of times afterwards, but obviously all the revisions made after 8i has missed to mention that in 8i (at least from 8.1.6 on) the mechanism of stopping the database when stopping the services has changed.

Once more: In 8iservice stop can perform a perfectly clean database shutdown, no matter what Metalink says. Everyone running 8i on Win can verify this behaviour simply by checking alert log after stopping the service.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

I have also found many small mistakes in METALINK, mostly related to Oracle Parallel Server and DB links.