DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Calculate number of max cursors open

1 - Anyone can tell me the way that i can calculate the maximium number of cursors open that i should define in ora.ini , just by the usual work of an aplication and the analysis of the database or any other way i can mesure?

2 - Is there any way to calculate the number of rolback segments i should create in a database and it´s storage?

Thanks you for your help

Paulo

Hello

1)Anyone can tell me the way that i can calculate the maximium number of cursors open that i should define in ora.ini , just by the usual work of an aplication and the analysis of the database or any other way i can mesure?

This is very difficult to measure usually you will have to set it with experience never accept the default at my site it is 200 i mean the current site at my last site it was 500 (developers did not have the habit of closing the cursors there i guess :-D

2)Is there any way to calculate the number of rolback segments i should create in a database and it´s storage?

it depends Oracle instructors whom i have met say you should have 20 rollback segments .one rule of thumb is

number of transactions / transactions per roll back segment

usually i assign 4 users per rollback segment

by tht rule sppose i have 50 transactions and with 4 transactions per rollback segment

i will have roughly 12.5 rollback segments but according to the rule i should make this number an exact multiple of 4 so i use 16 .

among other things i have script to tell me wheather the rollback segments that i have created are enough.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Hrishy

I agree with hrishy on point (1).

You don't want to set the parameter too low, however, the number of open cursors should not grow steadily.

Good luck.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

usually i assign 4 users per rollback segment
    Oracle recommends that in Oracle 8i. For older versions of Oracle it is a bit more. I assume that by '4 users' you mean 4 concurrent users :-)