DB = > 815

SQL> ALTER TABLE trans_due
    2 ADD( tel_sec CHAR(1),
    3 avail_dt DATE DEFAULT TRUNC(SYSDATE) CONSTRAINT nnavl NOT NULL,
    4 rev_dt DATE DEFAULT TRUNC(SYSDATE) + 1 CONSTRAINT nnrev NOT NULL,
    5 last_dt DATE DEFAULT TRUNC(SYSDATE) + 2 CONSTRAINT NNlast NOT NULL);
    ALTER TABLE *
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [17058], [2199000856], [], [], [], []
    , [], []

can anyone tell me y. in my alert log it says that it encountered a deadlock....

Hi,

ORA-600 error messages normally asks u to getin touch with the Oracle Technical Support team....Unknown Errors...!!!

Simple way to override this would b to shutdowm abort and restart the DB...!!!

Still working out another worth and possible solution for it....

Just a thought...

Kevin

ORA-600 error messages should not be taken lightly...

you might be facing bug 996607 ... if you have a trigger on this table, try to drop it and test again (don't forget to be sure you can recreate the trigger after).

Solution

Hi, 27th sep 2001 16:57 hrs Mumbai

The ORA-600 is an Oracle internal error and could not be pin pointed to a particular problem since there are
    many possibilities for it to occur.

First look at the trace directories and the alert log files.

You will find many error files along with error no ORA-600

First try to restart the DB after a clean shutdown of the DB and restart the server itself if possible.

If still this doesnt work out call oracle support

They can tell which executable and line caused the crash based on your input of the error messages.

How to locate and send the Error Mesage to Oracle......
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Look in to oracles bdump, udump and cdump directories.

Look for trace files that occurred at the time of your ORA-600 error. These files can tell you more specifics of what happened so that you can send these files to Oracle Support.

Also Look in to your alert_.ora file. There will be messages about the ORA-600 error.

There will also be associated numbers in brackets that will tell Oracle Support what system executable has caused this
    Problem

Normally the Errors looks likes this ORA-600 [1236] [89999] [7] [6] [] [] etc.........

ORA-600 is nothing but error or bug which could be said as that could not be classified as another error within oracle.

Cheers

Padmam
    Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it

Originally posted by pipo
    you might be facing bug 996607
    Might be, might be not :-)

yes, but it costs nothing to check if there is a trigger, to drop it and to try again ... ORA-00600 means that the error is not handled, but it can perfectly be a bug, and to be honest, I've always found solutions to ORA-00600 on metalink ...

I had traced the error, you're right pipo it's the trigger that caused this error. when I issue the alter table and add a column with a default value oracle first add's the column and updates the existing records with the default values. my trigger fires when an update and delete occurs on that table. the triggers updates another table but unfortunately i truncate the table that the trigger updates.

i disabled the trigger and issued the alter table command and it works.

could that be an oracle bug?

well, you meet all requirements for bug 996607, so I think this is it, but I don't know how to be sure that this IS this bug ... well anyway, the essential is that it works