DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: connecting thro sql*plus

Hai friends,
    I have created a new database (name db_new) and the sid is orcl.I am able to connect thro server manager without any difficulty.I want to access the database from forms builder/reports builder/sql*plus.What should I enter in the listener and tnsnames.ora files.Please let me know.
    Is it necessary that the sid name and database sh' be same.

Thanks and regards

You will be better off using Net 8 Assistant.
    On the server, drill down to listener- your_listener node, go to database services in the drop down menu and Click on Add Database. Now give the Global database name, Oracle home directory and SID in the appropriate text boxes.

On the client, you can configure tnsnames using Net8 Assistant again. Drill down to the Network|Services node and click on the Add button. Net8 will guide you further.

Is it necessary that the sid name and database sh' be same
    It is not necessary, but generally preferred.

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    well...i think if u hv Net8 assistant it'll be gd but for a starter like this person
    its best to teach him/her the basic of configuring listener.ora and tnsnames.ora...
    for a start Listener.ora is configuration for database awaiting external connection whileas
    tnsnames.ora are configured at client side....for both cases there are sample in ur
    installed diectory such as $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin chk it out there
    ngwh,
    Singapore.