DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORACLE APPLICATION SERVER vs. FORMS SERVER

what's the difference with this 2 SERVERS?????

THANKS.....

First of all, my suggestion would be not to go for OAS, instead to choose iAS. OAS/iAS are used for the web deployment servers. They are kind of the middle tier servers in a three tier architecture. Using OAS/iAS, you can deply any oracle application to the web including forum. On the other hand oracle forms server also has the web enabling feature which you can directly use to deploy your forms to the web. The adv of iAS/OAS over form server is that you can delploy any thing, instead of restricting your capability to deploy only forms, to the web.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Sam,

I have a general question. We are installing a trial demo of Oracle 11i HRMS on Solaris. When I do the install of 11i, am I installing 9iAS automatically?

The documentation describes an HTTPServer(Apache), but says nothing about 9iAS. I'm totally new to this and I don't really understand the differences between OAS, WebSever, 9i, etc. I know I need something to deploy these apps over the web, but I'm very confused at this point.

Could you possibly shed some light on how these pieces fit together with Apps and/or point me in a direction to find out. I've been searching the web and past postings but to no avail.

Thanks,
    Yanert98

First to answer your question of "Am I installing the 9ias by default". No, 9iAS is an another seperate product which you have to install seperately. You could use your HTTP server to pull your applications to web. But it is another different ball game.

http://technet.oracle.com/docs/content.html

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Thanks for the info sambavan, I really APPRECIATE it.....