DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Certification Downgrade Part 2

Okay, so I asked the question a while ago asking, if you are 8i Certified, does this automatically make you Certified in Oracle8, i.e. would you have to sit the 8 Upgrade (downgrade) exam to identify Oracle 8 features over 8i features...hmmm, you know what I mean. Many people said yes. I don't entirely agree, because the features between each release vary quite radically, but I'll let that slide, that's not what I want to ask.

What I'd like to know is...., therefore, if you ARE Oracle8i certified, does this entitle somebody can say they are Oracle8 certified also?

I.e.

Joe Blogs
    OCP 8i, 8, 7

If they are only 8i Certified?

I light of people previous post to my other question, I'd be interested to see what you thought in regard to this?

Personally, I think it's a bit of a cheat. Becasue if you are Certified in 8i and administers databases of this release. Would you call yourself an expert in Oracle 7? Hmmmm?

Cheers,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Smile

I see it a the latest release of Oracle as the superset of the previous release. If this is so, then saying your certified on the latest release SUGGEST that you already know enough about the previous release of the database.

OCP 8i means also OCP 8 and OCP 7 if you prefer. Every new release contains all properties of the previous release (with very few minor exceptions).

What I'd like to know is...., therefore, if you ARE Oracle8i certified, does this entitle somebody can say they are Oracle8 certified also?

I.e.

Joe Blogs
    OCP 8i, 8, 7

NOPE !!

Hmmm, seems we have people disagreeing already. I'm not saying either is right or wrong. Although, I'm leaning towards Raminder's opionion, simply because I don't believe people Certified only in Oracle 8i should be instantly certified in Oracle 7 and Oracle8
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia