DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: help needed on designer editor

Exclamation

Hi, there,

I got some problems on oracle designer editor and I am wondering if anyone can help me out.

We are asked to edit the first cut tables, which are mapped automatically by the Transformer. We are also required to compare the difference between the first cut tables and those have been modified by the Editor. Actually, I am satisfied with the table definition reports generated on the first cut tables as they provide more information on the foreign keys but there are lots of duplicated paragraphs and pages on these reports and I just could not get rid of them. For those have been modified by the Editor, I am not satisfied with the reports as some information is lost after we deleted some columns. I am not sure which column I should delete, should I delete those attributes existed in the entity relationship diagram or the columns which come as a result of foreign key relationship? For e.g., in a Customer Table, there are columns as follows:
    1 #customer_ID
    2 *customer_name
    3 *subsidy_category
    4 *subsidy_class
    5 sub_category
    6 sub_class

column 5 and 6 come as the result of a foreign key relationship between the Customer table and Subsidy table. In subsidy table, subsidy_category and subsidy_class are pks. It seems 3&4 are repeated by 5&6. Should I delete one of them or keep both of them in the table but hide one of them? Does anyone know how to get rid of the duplicated paragraphs and pages in the reports?

Kelly

This might help.

First, it is important to distinguish between logical and physical.

In the ERDiagrammer, you are dealing with entities. The relationships represent foreign keys. Therefore you should not add the FKs manually.

In answer to your question, delete columns 3 and 4 and let the tool generate 5 and 6. Your DDL should be okay.

When you make changes to the ERD, you need to delete the tables before you re-generate with the Database Design Transformer.

I don't know how to use the reports very well.

Good luck.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

still can not figure it out

Hi, Dave,

Thanks. can you give me your email address so I can ask you in detail?

Kelly

I would prefer to post answers on the forum if possible. I enjoy data modelling and will help as much as time permits.

I only check email twice per day.

dave_knight_ic@hotmail.com

David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Hi Dave, thanks. I have fixed them all. Actually, we can do two ways to fix this problem. The first method is to restart mapping the table from the original copy, make sure no mistake is made during this process and then delete the duplicated ones from the editor. After then, do resequencing if necessary. The second way is to go back to ERD and delete all foreign keys in all tables and use transformer to map table. The second way is the easist as the table generated by this way is the perfect one and you dont need to do any modification. But by doing this way, you need to fully understand the difference between ERD and physical design. The reports generated by these two ways are the same and no duplicated paragrahs and pages.

Hope this can help any beginner just like me.

Cheers,

Kelly