DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: for gurus

Hello
    Iam having a problem in deciding installation of Oracle 8i(8.1.6) on Win2000. The situation is we are having two nodes compaq servers pl8500 with a plan for clustering.Recently i tested a replication on a test machine which is successful.Now the management is decided to go ahead.They want to install the oracle 8i on standalone server since still we didnot get the certification for parallel server.What i want to have sujjestions from your side is what are the problems iam going to face after installing oracle on standalone after getting the certification can i make the system either for fail safe or for ops without any complications. What u will sujjest in this situation?.What are the steps i have to take before proceeding further so that while transferring the system from standalone to OPS i will not have much trouble.
    Any remarks are much appreciated
    Regards
    akhadar

What are the steps i have to take before proceeding further so that while transferring the system from standalone to OPS?
    These OPS instruction are not so simple. I suggest that if you are not familiar with Oracle Paralle Server that you call an Oracle expert/consult to do it for you.

You really want to run OPS on NT??

I think it was in 1998 when Oracle supported Oracle Parallel Server on NT. For all I have heard it does not work well on NT.

Hello julian
    Thank u very much for your replay,its fact that iam not a master in OPS and still we donot have the certification from oracle and also technical cooperation.so this option is eliminated as per your version.What i want to ask is what about the FAIL SAFE since we are equipped with Microsoft cluster server ?.How will be its performance?.Since after installing the Oracle i have to prepare for Replication.can i go directly for clustering or standalone,if i choose standalone afterwards can i make it cluster?
    Regards
    akhadar

Abot FAILSAFE, check a previous disccusion:

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=15326

I woulg go dirctly for clustering. In UNIX if you decide to move from single node do a cluster you may relink your Oracle software and go on with OPS.

About performance, as I said OPS does not work well with NT.

Thanks for your advise
    I will start planning for clustering of my nodes and oracle 8i with FAIL SAFE. I will be back with my experiances.
    Regards
    akhadar

FYI Fail Safe is not going to improve your perfomance, it is used for fail over only. It recovers faster than a normal cluster configuration (Operating System Cluster) but nothing more

But as Julian mentioned OPS is a totally different stuff to use and to administer