DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restore from Cold Backup

Question

I am having problems restoring from a cold backup to my dev environment. We recently upgraded from NT4.0 to 2000. We are on 8.1.7. I have copied over the datafiles from the coldbackup that was done after a normal shutdown to our dev environment. After that I can not get the database to come backup.

Can anyone please help? Step by Step instructions would be great for this struggling NEWBIE.

Thanks

you have to copy datafiles, control files, and redo logs from your cold backup not just datafiles

what errors are you getting?

Well, to be precise, you only need datafiles and controlfiles to restore from the cold backup.

As to the original question, it would be very usefull if you provide us with the error messages you get when you try to start the database. It could be *many* different things that can couse database not be able to start normaly.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

true you dont need to restore the redo logs since datafiles and control files are in sync

my bad !

ahh, but I recently restored a database from a cold backup, and it would not start because the existing (not backed up) redo logs did not sync with the restored datafiles. Nor could I drop them and create new ones. After more than a few anxious moments I finally found & used the alter database clear logfiles command and I was up & running, I immediatly altered my cold backup scripts so that they copied the online redo logs as well so they could be restored as well if need be.

yea you have to recreate them after restroing a cold backup

I just dont use cold backup whatsoever that's why I forgot in the ILT books suggested that there is no need copying redo logs and the need of recreating them after restoring a cold backup

This restore is from PROD to DEV. I could be wrong on my steps. After I copy over the datafiles, and delete the control files. I have not started the OracleService for the db. In NT4.0 we always had an OracleStartDB and an OracleServiceDB, 2000 only has the oracleservice. In the past I have always started the oracleservice but not the oraclestart. Thats the problem I get an Oracle not available error in SVRMGRL. If I start the oracleservice, when I get to the alter database open resetlogs step it errors with the datafile needs more recovery.

Hopefully this helps. If you can help I will answer questions all day long

Thanks

If you have the datafiles from cold backup ? Why don't you give "CREATE DATABASE" a try ? Its normally the process for cloning a db, but can be useful to you...
    svk

Note that 'justageek' never mentioned if he has his DB in archivelog mode. If not he has to restore also the log files from the cold backup!

Originally posted by julian
    Note that 'justageek' never mentioned if he has his DB in archivelog mode. If not he has to restore also the log files from the cold backup!
    No, why would he need online logs if his database is in archivelog? You never need online redologs during recovery, so there is no point for backing them up in the first place. Online redologs are needed only during *instance* recovery, for which you don't need any backup at all.

Restore from cold backup simply means open the new database in a state as it was prior to cold backup. For this you don't need online redologs from your backup.

In fact you never have to backup online redologs, neither during cold nor during hot backup. It is particulary *dangerous* to backup online archivelogs during hot backup and one should *never* include them in the hot-backup procedure. With cold backup they are harmless, but they are also useless . You simply don't need them. Having the above mentioned treath of having online redologs in your hot-backup set in mind, one could simply adopt the habit not to backup online redologs during cold-backup procedure too.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?