DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shared_pool_reserved_min_alloc

I have a quick question about Shared_pool_reserved_size in init.ora. Oracle suggest that we should have Shared_pool_reserved_size in our database for large memory requirement like procedures compile or triggers. Oracle also suggest that shared_pool_reserved size should be = 10 % of the Shared_pool_size. My questions is what should I use for Shared_pool_reserved_min_alloc ??? Oracle only said that Shared_pool_reserved_size should be larger than Shared_pool_reserved_min_alloc.

any advise will be greatlly appreciated

What is your database version? Normally in 8i Oracle would allocate 5% of the shared_pool_size for shared_pool_reserved_size. If you want to allocate this paramter, take the 10% of shared_pool_size and allocate in. In 8i the min_alloc had been obsoleted as a result you wouldn't get to us this. Normally this would be your db_block_size.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

sam,

It's 8i.

so does it neccessary for me to have the SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_MIN_ALLOC in init.ora or it has been obsoleted ???? So I only need SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_SIZE on the init.ora right ???

Thanks for your help

You just have to take care of the shared_pool_reserved_size. Don't worry about the other, it by defauly would get your db_block_size and you don't have to specify it. It is now one of those undescore parameters, which you don't have to worry about.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

I would not worry much about shared_pool_reserved_size. It's defualt value of 500000 is OK generally. Oracle uses shared_pool_reserved_size for future big PL/SQL and ORA- errors.