DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: UPDATE

I have a column NAME VARCHAR2(30). In this column first name is already stored for e.g.:
    NAME
    ------
    Davis

Now few days later what we have to do update NAME column
    With last name also, but the problem is we do not want to remove first name the column should be looks like

NAME
    --------
    Davis George

* We do not want to update entire first & last name with first name (Davis). Simply first name should be remaining as it is and last name should update concatenate with first name.

I know the requirement is very different, but please I need help to solve the issue. I would really appreciate if any one can help/suggestion.

Thanks

Not only is the requirement 'different', it is bad. If first name and last name are provided separately, then, by all means, they should be stored seperately!

What is wrong with having separate FirstName and LastName fields? They can always concatenate them in the SELECT. If that's too difficult, you can create a view that concatenates the names for them. If that's still too difficult, you can create a third column that is populated via a trigger and let them select from there.

Now, assuming that you have considered all those and *still* feel the need to implement such a design, you cannot get around the need to concatenate the existing value with the new text:

Code:
    UPDATE
       Table1
    SET
       Name = Name || ' George'
    WHERE
       Table1_ID = 1
    HTH,

- Chris
    Christopher R. Long
    ChrisRLong@HotMail.Com
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong