DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: init.ora

Please give correct me if I am wrong on this thought.

GLOBAL NAMES = TRUE

When Global name= true, we have to do some set up in our TNS name in order for us to create DB link between two databases

Or you can set global name=FALSE which you don't have to do any thing when you try to set up the DB link.

Is there any thing else beside the two above issues on Global name . Please give me some explanation

thanks

Setting the GLOBAL_NAME=TRUE would require you to have the same db name for your link. You can also do some configuration in the listener.ora file. Setting the GLOBAL_NAME=FALSE would allow you to name your database link as you want.

In the past I notice some threads complaining about the former one and they were able to solve that problem by going for the later one. For the indepth undestanding of the problems the others had encountered, I would suggest that you us the "Search Forums" available on top of this thread/forum.

If you have any further problems/questions. please let us know, we would be glad to help you.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

GLOBAL NAMES = TRUE is the default. It enforces the dblink to have the same name as the database it connects to

In Oracle Parallel Server you cannot have GLOBAL NAMES = TRUE in case you want to have a DB link between several instances. Even Metalink has it wrong about how to create DB links in OPS :-)

Originally posted by julian
    In Oracle Parallel Server you cannot have GLOBAL NAMES = TRUE in case you want to have a DB link between several instances.
    Julian, you've lost me here. Why would you want to have database link between two instances in OPS? They all have access to the same database anyway, no?
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    In Oracle Parallel Server you cannot have GLOBAL NAMES = TRUE in case you want to have a DB link between several instances.
    Julian, you've lost me here. Why would you want to have database link between two instances in OPS? They all have access to the same database anyway, no?
    Jmodic,

Please help me out with what you mean that "They all have access to the same database anyway, no?" Are you saying that if we have two database in the same OS say A and B and you should be able to access B from A without any Link ??? If so please give me some explaination

Thanks

Not always but it is my fault that I gave a very short and unclear answer :-)

I have 2 databases on our PROD OPS server with a 2 node Sun cluster. Hence, we have 2 instances per DB, altogether 4 instances. Now, the database link is between two service names.

Here is an example:

CREATE DATABASE LINK "NAME.WORLD" CONNECT TO "USER" IDENTIFIED BY "passsword" USING '(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (
    ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP) (HOST = HOST1)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = NAME)))';

I have 2 databases on our PROD OPS server with a 2 node Sun cluster. Hence, we have 2 instances per DB, altogether 4 instances.[/B]
    Oh, yes, now it makes sence.
    Jurij Modic

Originally posted by mike73

Jmodic,

Please help me out with what you mean that "They all have access to the same database anyway, no?" Are you saying that if we have two database in the same OS say A and B and you should be able to access B from A without any Link ??? If so please give me some explaination
    I was talking about OPS (=Oracle Parallel Server), not OS (=Operating System). OPS is a special clustered configuration, where two or more Oracle instances, running on different nodes, simultaneously access one common database.
    Jurij Modic

I was talking about OPS (=Oracle Parallel Server), not OS (=Operating System). OPS is a special clustered configuration, where two or more Oracle instances, running on different nodes, simultaneously access one common database.
    Most Americans probably associate OPS not with Oracle but with the concept of an OPS price :-)

The Office of Price Administration had been set during the World War II to control the black market by limiting the prices of everything. It servived under Truman as the Office of Price Stabilization - OPS.