I just recreated a standby database on a different host from the primary. The archive logs are still being generated by the primary but they are not being transferred automatically like they should.

What I did to recreate the standby database was:
1) Shutdown the primary, copied the datafiles, and created the standby control file using the statement: alter database create standby control file as 'filename';
2) Restarted the primary database. Looks fine.
3) ftp'd the datafiles and standby control file to the standby database host.
4) Since this was working prior to the recreation, I didn't alter the tnsnames.ora or listener.ora files. I did verify the ports and host names. OK.
5) Started the listener for the standby database.
6) Attempted to initiate automatic archiving on the primary site throught server manager:
connect internal
startup nomount pfile=init.ora
alter database mount standby database;

From what I've read this should be enough to get the archive logs to transfer and load from the primary (if the init.ora file is correct) to the standby database. However it's not working. The last applied log was #10322. The last log generated on the primary is #10344. When I checked the status of the standby database it states: mounted. When I checked the archiving status of the primary database I received an error: ORA-01034 oracle unavailable.

Your suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.