DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem installing Oracle 8.1.7

Hi,

Does anyone here use 8.1.7? I have been trying to install 8.1.7 on my computer (Window NT) and run into the weirdest problem:
    First - It never gives me the option of creating a databse, it just shut down when it finishes installing Oracle
    Second - It only installed the DBA Studio and I did the Typical Installation, it didn't even installed SQLPlus????

Do I have to install 8.1.6 or 8.1.5 before installing 8.1.7 so I will have the use of SQLPlus and can log into DBA Studio??? Right now I can't even login DBA Studio since there is no database, and I can't create a database becauseI can't log in???? AGHHHHHHH.

This is really weird and funny problem.. Never happened to me and I should have installed atleast 20 times on NT.. I have faced other problems.. But to answer your qn.. Try doing a re-install, after copying the entire software from the CD and running the setup from hard drive.. Secondly, choose typical installation so the problems are minimal.. Before you do that wash up registry thoroughly and also check to make sure if there are any oracle products installed.. Wipe out and proceed.. Post the problems if any..
    Thanks, ST

Hi,

I did as suggested. I delete everything in my registry that are related to Oracle and did a reinstall, same things. I am not getting everything only the DBA studio that I can't even log in, this time during the installation i got this message:

Error copy file to D (This is where I install my oracle to):
    D:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN\ORANCRYPT8.DLL
    D:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN\ORANCRYPT8.DLL.BAK

I did a check and that DLL is in that folder. Anybody has any ideas????? Please help before I go crazy!

I've had this happen on 8.1.6 NT. I've read in MetaLink to first do a custom install and only install parts of Oracle. Follow this up with a typical install or another custom for the other portions. If you have access to MetaLink I'd search on "8.1.6" and "Install problem"

What type of processor are you using? Oracle has a problem with Pentium 4's.

Try CUSTOM installation.

I tried the CUSTOM installation and that also didn't work, I am using Pentium 3 Processor. I am going to clean up my registry and try again only this time I think I will use 8.1.6 instead of 8.1.7, but I do have a couple of questions I hope you all can help clarify for me:
    1.- I have COLD FUSION SERVER 4.0 on my machine, do you think that may cause the problem I am having? I can't seem to find any info on that.
    2.- When cleaning up the Registry, I follow Oracle suggestions of what to delete to create a CLEAN MACHINE but after looking around I found under "CURRENTCONTROLSET", "CONTROLSET001", and "CONTROLSET003" I have the following keys:
    LEGACY_ORACLEORAHOME8TNSLISTENER
    LEGACY_ORACLESERVICE08IBEGIN
    LEGACY_ORACLEWEBASSISTANT0
    should I also delete these 3 keys? I don't even know how these keys get to be in here because when I looked under services the only that got installed is the
    "ORACLEORAHOME81PAGINGSERVER". I am sorry to be such a pest but this problem had me stumped and I am grateful for all your help.

You can go ahead and delete them or leave them as they are. Remember earlier you received a dll error, you might want to remove that file too.

Now coming to the part of could fussion, As long as the oracle doesn't reside under the same home as that of cold fussion, you don't have to worry.

Create a seperate home for oracle and install the oracle under that home. If you are doing a custom install, I would suggest that you unselect the OEM products and tools, including dba-studio and do just the oracle install. Create the DB using this installer.

Once you complete that now install the OEM and other tools into another home directory. This is one good practice as it would ease your future updates on the product.

Configure the tnsnames of the OEM and then try to use the OEM, which by default would include your dba studio.

If you get any error messages, please note them down and let us know how it all went.

Good luck,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

This is what I have managed to do: I installed 8.1.6 then 8.1.7 after (I am desparate ). I now have the following services:
    OracleOraHome81AppServerListerner
    OracleOraHome81DataGatherer
    OracleOraHome81PagingServer
    OracleOraHome81TNSListener (This I have to do manually using Net8 Assistant).

I was never given a choice to create my database during the installation, the only thing I was able to create was the Oracle SID, I still don't have SQLPlus but I have DBA Studio and SQLPlus Worksheet. Whenever I tried to connect through SQLPlus Worksheet using Scott/Tiger, this is the message I got:

ERROR:
    ORA-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error

Does anyone know what this error means and how to fix it???? TIA

Now to connect to the oracle, open the command prompt window. there issue

SET ORACLE_SID=your_sid

sqlplus scott/tiger

If this doesn't work, check your listener.ora file and make sure the configurations are correct. Try

tnsping hostname/ip

If this goes through then it means the listener is up.

Lets confirm that you were able to connect to the instance. If this doesn't work, then I need all the steps you did during the installation.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!