DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question on NetAdmin8

Question

Oracle's ILT Netadmin books says that to view the contents of Net8 packets you use Trace_level_client = support. But lately I've seen answers posted in other books such as Sybex stating you should use ADMIN as the level as the answer to the following question. Is this a mistake because I would still think its SUPPORT? So I am currently confused?

If you're trying to identify performance bottlenecks across the network occuring in an Oracle application how should you enable tracing to obtain the acutal contents of the Net8 packets for use in identifying problems?

A. Admin
    B. Support
    C. User

I would appreciate if some could explain the reason behind this?

If you want to view the info using TRCASST, then you must pay attention to the fact that Trace Assistant will run against a level 16 trace, what is known also as Support tracing. So, the right answer is B.

Julian is Right. It IS Support.

Smile

Yay!!!! Thanks for your answer. Upon further study I found a reference in a Sybex text Performance Tuning/Net Admin that explains the definitions of the various levels of tracing:
    eg.support=details the flow of actual packets sent & received. This info can then be analyzed using the Trace Assistant in which one of its task is to look at identifying bottlenecks etc.
    admin = user errors and installation errors
    user = user errors