DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vapor Oracle experience.... Ethical dilema

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    hey!! take a step back and THINK!! if an idiot can bluff his/her way thru' an interview
    and of course it takes another idiot(the interviewer) to accept him/her and gives an
    offer right ?? so...by having an idiot as an interviewer(technical or not) that work
    for the company how much can u say when this interviewer was recruited???
    well....??? in short...wat i am trying to say is....the gd will get gd ones...then..la ..la ..la
    the lousy will get bad eggs!
    ngwh,
    Singapore.

Vapor experience:
    I still remember my own interviewer experience which happened 4 years ago in Boston. At that time it was severe winter, and every where you would find snow, the temperature was ¨C10F. A candidate visited our office for an interview in the morning. The position is for Oracle developer. On the outlook, the resume impressed me very much. The candidate told me that he worked in a reputed company in India. He went on telling me his experience with that company. I was really shocked because whatever he told about the company was false, because I knew very well about the company and most of the IT staff in that reputed company. Then I shifted the topic to subject. He did not answer a single question in Oracle. The bitter part of the interview was he was sweating heavily from the start of the interview till the finish. Remember the temperature was ¨C15F in Boston. Some how he landed in US with out having real experience. Obviously I did not select the candidate. At the same time, another candidate who just finished MS came for the interview, he openly told us that he did not have experience, but he would definitely work hard and learn the subject in short time. I liked the 2nd guy who was honest , and naturally I offered him a job.
    Never lie in your resume and your experience. You will easily be got.

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    so did u even look at his OCP exam results or whichever ?
    ngwh,
    Singapore.

Originally posted by tamilselvan
    Vapor experience:
    I still remember my own interviewer experience which happened 4 years ago in Boston. At that time it was severe winter, and every where you would find snow, the temperature was ¨C10F. A candidate visited our office for an interview in the morning. The position is for Oracle developer. On the outlook, the resume impressed me very much. The candidate told me that he worked in a reputed company in India. He went on telling me his experience with that company. I was really shocked because whatever he told about the company was false, because I knew very well about the company and most of the IT staff in that reputed company. Then I shifted the topic to subject. He did not answer a single question in Oracle. The bitter part of the interview was he was sweating heavily from the start of the interview till the finish. Remember the temperature was ¨C15F in Boston. Some how he landed in US with out having real experience. Obviously I did not select the candidate. At the same time, another candidate who just finished MS came
    for the interview, he openly told us that he did not have experience, but he would definitely work hard and learn the subject in short time. I liked the 2nd guy who was honest , and naturally I offered him a job.
    Never lie in your resume and your experience. You will easily be got.
    Of course, if the guy didn't know anything about Oracle, he had no business, looking for an Oracle job in the first place.
    What I meant to say is that in this world, people don't want to take a risk, get blamed if the guy hired ****s up. If the guy had experience and degree, then the hiring manager has some escape clause, if he hired a guy without degree, experience, just based on a hunch, he himself could get in hot water, a black mark in his corporate career. The bitter truth is that if given everything equal,

Candidate A has a degree , Ocp, and no experience,

Candidate B has a degree, Ocp, and Vapour experience,

Who do you think has better chance of getting hired?

You know who! The guy in your example didn't have anybody to back him up, he obviously didn't know much about Oracle, Sure, sure.......... if everybody in this world is honest, ethical, principled, has morale courage, we all should strive to be honest. Look at OCP and Oracle corp. are they completly honest, principled, even when it's against their self-interest, they can afford to compromise with ethics and morality time to time, because they have the market share. We don't live in a perfect world, we pretend especially in pulblic, especially in front of our children, as if, but you know better. It's basically how smart you are, how qualified you are, and how lucky you are, I'm not saying people should go out of their way to be dishonest, I'm simply saying we compromise with our ideals time to time for pragmatic reasons.
    Trying to remain objective, since one can always be wrong.....without knowing it at the moment.

To me I think the real question is how well do you feel exagerating, lying or whatever you want to call it in order to get a DBA position (entry level, mid, senior, etc). It takes two people to become employed. The interviewer, the interviewee. There are some people that are very good at selling themselves during interviews and if they can convince someone to hire them, then more power to them. The bottom line is your the one that has to live with your reputation. I know in my case, current or prospective employers can question my skills and abilities but they will never be able to question my integrity. I'm certainly able to go to sleep at night with a clear conscience.

One last thing. With the unemployment levels increasing I can certainly see where "vapor experience" is becoming more prevalent. You need to do what you need to do to get a job if your umemployed. I know, I was there for 7 months and was about 2 months from loosing my house.